View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM

Default First US archive

Here is the beginning of what I gathered overtime (I hope these posts will not generate any problem). As it is obvious, I don't claim paternity for everything that I put as archives. I'll put what I have on other countries when I start another thread. Of course, because of the specificities of archives you'll have elements on other armies appearing from time to time. Thanks to GDW, Paul, antenna,..., the list is almost endless . You'll find yourself around and might complete it I hope.

US CONUS forces:
5th US Army: 7,700 troops with 29 tanks. Considering the stretch of territory they have to control it is a pittance.
6th US Army: 2,800 troops with 7 tanks
9th US Army: even if you add up the scattered groups that are really formed into local militias it is no more than 5,500 with two tanks. However, properly speaking it is a mere 4,000 troops with 2 tanks.
Strategic Reserve (Colorado): 6,400, 7 tanks.
1st US Army: (really just the 78th Infantry Division with 1 tank)
Military Region III: 9,100 troops, roughhly 2800 of those shepherding refugees, with 13 tanks.
Military Region V: 4,700 troops.
Hawaii: 4,000 troops, 4 tanks.

Sourcebook for Military Region III
Disclaimer: Having not seen "Howling Wilderness" (GDW0519 1988) until 1998 I have spent over a decade playing in a Twilight universe different than that of the GDW authors. This series of source books for CIVGOV Military Region III represent conclusions of numerous T2K players some with intimate knowledge of the Geography, Demographics, post WWIII economic outlook and local color of these locations. They are offered here as fodder for the imagination to generate your own universe, the use of Thanksgiving 97 as the day of the attack is a matter of convenience since we always started our sneak attack around then. Enjoy.
(Virginia)
History: The weeks after Thanksgiving was a tumultuous time across the state. Governor Henry Rowe maintained order through marshall law, a continuous presence and force of will. Leading by example from a mobile comm van. Through out the weeks of riots and refugee camp openings. He was everywhere surveying damage and talking to locals, refugees and emergency personnel, survivors and victims. Indeed on more than one occasion he was thought to be in the area of a need, acting as a hopeful rumor that help was coming "as soon as Governor Rowe sees this the trucks will be here".
8 days before Christmas 2000 Gov. Rowe developed a fever from a chest infection which turned to pneumonia, after ignoring his physician orders to slow down. On December 29th Gov. Rowe lapsed into a coma. Crowds grew in the Capitol district of Richmond while his Lieutenants continued their work. Prayer vigils continued on after New Years and the temperate Virginia winter was taken as an omen. On January 5th Gov. Rowe awoke and celebrations commenced across the state. On January 16th Gov. Rowe was seen publicly and by February 2nd he was back in his HUMVEE touring camps and food kitchens.
Control of the State is firmly in the hands of Gov. Rowe so much so that Western regions, difficult to reach, have sent word for the Governor not to try to visit them till spring when they can clear the roads.
Local Conditions: For Virginia West of Richmond and East of Roanoke the State for the most part is Organized (see territory types GDW2000v2 pg. 152), territory not within 25miles of Richmond, Roanoke, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Winchester or a below mentioned barracks should be considered Independent (especially in the western mountains) or insular. The areas east of I95 are for the most part devastated (specifically Hampton Roads and Washington D.C, belt-way regions) to anarchy (generally east of the Potomac River) With exception of an Independent cell in the Williamsburg area and Fort Stalwart in Chesapeake (formerly North West Security Group).
Geography: Virginia is a land of diverse geography. Appalachian Mountains in the West, rolling hills and plains and the Shenandoah Valley in the Central, on too the Chesapeake Bay and its deep Tributaries (Potomac, Rappahannock, Mattapouni and York rivers)in the East. Nearly all farming has been switched from tobacco (though amking a resurgence), and is almost completely without need of irrigation. Livestock is adequate in the protected mid section of the state, while nearly non existent elsewhere because of both relocation and pillaging. Thickly forested with Maple, Oak, Fir and Pine building and construction materials are in abundance.
Transportation: Major Highway system is in good repair West of Richmond and East of Roanoke (I64), on Northward to Winchester (I81). East of Richmond the loss of a great many bridges has rendered I95 useless to vehicular travel. The few expeditions in the region eventually required their own water craft. In the mountains West of Roanoke rock slides and erosion has rendered nearly all of I64 and I77 useless to vehicular travel even hitched teams.
Population: Having adequate doctors was nullified by having inadequate medicine and infrastructure. The loss of Hampton Roads and Washington eliminated 40% of the states medical staff but nearly 80% of the States labs and stores the remainder nearly entirely in Richmond.
The Thanksgiving day strike accounted for over 3 million of the states 6.4 million pre-war population from the blasts and the following turmoil. The epidemics of the following year were considerable and in refugee camps and population centers disease ran amuck with nearly no modern remedies and a limited yet growing supply of natural cures and treatments. By 2001 population had dropped to just 2.2 million augmented by refugees from the North.
Industry: Agriculture is booming in Virginia in comparison to elsewhere nationwide. Potato's and to some extent corn was in abundance as was alfalfa and soy beans. Lack of power in the middle populated areas has fostered an mutual agreement with the power rich state of North Carolina in exchange for crops and live stock.
Power provided to the Richmond and Lynchburg areas are for repair manufacturing, the manufacture of manual textile looms and the growing lumber mills. Limited telecommunications as well as limited use of wireless during power provided periods are common for management in populated areas. A limited bandwidth internet is in place to maintain infrastructure and alert law enforcement.
Government: A commonwealth continues to function in Virginia. The state legislature though unable to impede any of Gov. Rowes requests without firm warning from their constituents. At the behest of Gov. Rowe elections have been suspended for one year until an adequate census can be taken, which to date has not gotten farther than planning.
Forces: The following forces are located in the Virginia area;
MILGOV: MILGOV Presence in MRIII (and Virginia) is restricted to a few sympathizers scattered about the region. Military and former military who have mustered out are not eligible for positions in the State Government, Civil Services, Virginia Defense Force or Virginia State Mounted Police unless a signed copy of a the oath of loyalty confirmation is on record along with a notice of espionage and collaboration intolerance. Then they will most likely hold a not position of great responsibility without monitoring of some kind by State Police.
CIVGOV: CIVGOV Forces in the area are not numerous, but are more often of a higher reliability than else where in the region. Making use of Forts A.P.Hill and Lee for logistics and barracks.
Forces are not necessarily Federal, since each of the states have defederalized their National Guard and ceased sending recruits to embarkation areas.
Currently Federal forces answer to the Council of Govenors in their Military Region until such a times as the Federal Government can be organized from the current Emergency Status.
A conference is scheduled in Charlotte as soon as the current state of emergency passes or subsides. The Speaker of the House Ben Ford (R/KY), a few cabinet members, representatives of NSA, and the Commandant of forces Mil. Reg. III are there coordinating with the council of Govenors.
Forces in the region include:
129th Infantry, 1st BDE: Primarily manned with returning Army regulars, veterans, elements of the 78th Inf. and former VMI cadets the 129th is a reconstituted prewar 29th Inf. (Light). Div. HQ at Fort Lee with regiments in Charlottesville, Richmond and Roanoke and a Special Detail at Fort Stalwart (Formerly the Northwest Security Group Activity). Assigned to security and civil engineering duties in these areas. The 129th is responsible for security and material condition of the States Interstate roadways and operation of the Fort Stalwart Communication Facility. Within 25miles of the VDF barracks the area is considered cantonment.
HQ Location: Fort Lee
Manpower: 1500
Tanks: 7 M60, 3 M60 CVE
Non-Federal State assets:
Virginia Defense Force, A prewar unit 50-100 personnel that monitored armories when National Guard units deployed. After a the loss of two armories during rioting in 1999, the governor ordered the force an increase in manning and to be armed.
Including former members of National Guard, Law enforcement and regular Army units. The VDF evolved into Virginias deployable defense force by 2000. Now with 500 regulars and 2000 part time members, with Consolidated barracks in Winchester, Roanoke, Emporia, Fredricksburg ,Ft. Lee and Onancock (on the peninsula) they are tasked with monitoring commercial roads on the frontier and support the State Police against armed insurgents, and provide security details for state management agencies. Within 25miles of the VDF barracks the area is considered cantonment.
HQ Location: Richmond
Manpower: 500 full time, 2000 partime cadre
Tanks: None
Virginia State Police, Converted from prewar mission to ensuring order and security state wide, but specifically in areas of refugee sheltering. Circuit Judges are provided regularly to allow quick execution of violent perpatrators and shaming of non-violent offenders.
By executive order state wide gun retailers were closed and there owners employed by the government, their stocks interned for police use. Police are commonly armed with 9mm pistols, with 12ga/12ga slug or 223 Remington weapons of various manufacture.
New America: Numerous NA sympathetic cells exist in the Western mountains and are held in check by the popularity of the sitting Governor. It is rumored that State Police have penetrated these cells and that Governor Rowe knowingly has not attempted to disband them due to some future purpose being feasible.

The AF's 48th FIS (4 F-15Cs) is still based at Langley AFB.

Last edited by Mohoender; 01-08-2009 at 02:49 AM.