View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihkr View Post
We all have the nostalgia for it, brother. The issue lies in the fact that we don't have any idea what FFE/Modiphius are going to do with it. Furthermore, we start to cross into sticky IP copyright territory if we were to adapt the setting and then expand on it, without a legal agreement. In effect, we can emulate the v2.2 rules mechanisms and rewrite them without any infringement, but using the setting as well? That's asking for it.

That's why the T198X Cold War, or other settings I listed are better options. The setting millieu developed by Hackett and subsequent authours is broad enough that we can create our own T2000'esque storyline in that era. Heck, we could even pay Brad Smith royalties for his recent stories and directly include the scenarios he describes in his works. It's a great marketing tie-in for him. And I get that you guys have invested considerable time and effort into expansions for the v1 and v2.2 timelines; that work need not go to waste. Your Kenya and East Africa materials can be modified to fit our new setting, instead of being expansions on v1/2.2.
Herein lies the question? Will this product be sold? If so, then we're yeah, trampling over the copyright like a herd of elephants. If however, we're honoring the terms of the FFE copyright language for fan products, then we are golden. That said, it's kind of a pain in the ass to do this for free.

I do however, have an idea.

Ok, in the early part of the oughts, FASA went under and Battletech had gone on a bit of hiatus. Meanwhile, Whizkids had gone and come out with "Mechwarrior", or as we in the community derisively called it..."click tech." It was not met well by a lot of the old hands and try as they might, we really didn't want anything to do with it.

Needless to say, "clicky tech" died screaming, and now, you can get the stuff for bargain prices on ebay and at cons. But, TPTB realized, there was a lot of vocal fans with money who wanted their old Battletech back. So what did they do? They came up with "Classic Battletech." Like Classic Coke, it survived where New Coke did not.

So where am I going with this? We need to make a case for "Classic T2K, by the fans, for the fans." Marc's done this before. He made Foreven Sector in Traveller a referee's preserve, for ref's to do with as they will. I am sure, with the right approach, we could get a similar outcome for Twilight: 2000.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).

Last edited by Jason Weiser; 05-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.