View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
Looking back at it from 15 years after we started design work, my biggest regret about the Reflex mechanics was trying to do too many things in a tabletop game engine that work much better with a computer mediating the action. I took too many design cues from X-COM.

- C.
So, how would you have done things differently if you were doing them now?

The use of range bands and physics-based damage modeling seems like it might be overkill in comparison to a d100 system or d&d, but it gives a better "feel."

The wound system is very tight - more detailed than a d&d hit point system where you are at 100% until you cross the magic 0 hp, but not a death spiral like some other rpg systems.

The modifiers to determine what your final TN is for ranged combat *is* a bit complicated, but not so unwieldy as to be impossible to use. The other thing that takes some work is figuring out what hard, normal, easy, etc. are when determining non-combat TNs.

My opinion: the only thing that would significantly improve the rules (and supplements) is a chart showing weapons, equipment, and vehicles availability by era with an expanded set of each of them via supplements . This would certainly be handy to allow people to set up Twilight:2000, core Twilight:2013, Twilight: WW2, etc.