View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
While the USA certainly made a difference in the region, I would dispute that Australia would have been crushed by the Japanese without the US. Trying to put aside any "Aussie pride", the Japanese were probably spread too thin to effectively damage Australia's ability to wage war and they would certainly have had a difficult time trying to invade mainland Australia.
Sorry but that simply a matter of mathematics. If the USA had not been party to the war, Australia couldn't have done much. Nobody would have been there to stop their navy as the Royal Navy was already lying at the bottom of the sea. Then, Japan could send at least 500.000 troops to Australia. I didn't say it would have been easy, I simply said it would have been inevitable.

However, Leg perfectly got the point. Everything else is a detail. By the way, US didn't save the world in WW2, it simply contributed to it. If it had not done it, it would have fall as the rest of the world, simply later. Two entities contributed more than the others and were the two saviors IMO: Commonwealth and later the Soviet Union (but I already said that numerous times).