View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
In the game 'This War Of Mine' where the player runs refugees stuck in a war zone one of the triumphs is when you get your poor miserable bots to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee in the same day.
In the real life version of This War of Mine, the game we played was called Bosnian Roulette. Winners got a jug of water. And the opportunity to play again the next day.

Cigarettes were often just tea that had already been steeped three or four times then chopped into tiny flakes and hand-rolled with whatever else could be added. I don't know what the conversion rate would be, but 10-50DM for a single cigarette seems about right (I was a rare breed who never smoked; OK... rarely smoked). Coffee was a luxury afforded by the Smurfs.

In focussing on such details, it may be important to keep in mind the limit of matches and lighters. Sure, you can score a cigarette to smoke privately or with friends, but how do you light it? Less problematic for soldiers, but for how long? In game terms, a scene could certainly play out in finding a pack of unadulterated cigarettes, but having no (safe) method for lighting one.