Thread: T2K Lingua
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay73
I picked up some useful bits from Tom Clancy books and other "Cold War" era spy novels, and from the T2K 2nd Ed book. It also helped that i often tried to learn the important bits of any language from anyone I found who could speak it (i.e. how to order a beer, ask where the bathroom is, and insult someone badly).

Remember, it's a bad idea to say "Yob t'voyu maht!" to any Russian you don't intend to fight, but "una cerveza por favor" and "donde esta el bano" are damned useful things to know in Spanish. Just hope the guy that replies to the last one points at the door, so you don't need to know how to say "second door on the left" in Spanish...

"Segunda puerta a la izquierda"

Yesterday night we ran a short (3hr) role playing session. The character assaulted by surprise a fortified house occupied by polish militiamen. As always I threw myself enthusiastically to interpret my poor NPCs crying for help in my particular and totally imaginary version of polish.

All the non-native English speakers have a natural ability, developed since childhood, to sing the songs in English of their favourite groups "by ear" without knowing anything about English and without any idea about the meaning of the lyrics. I have extended this ability (with my lack of sense of shame) to manage a fluid roleplaying Polish, Germany, Russian, French or whatever language needed. Of course this powerful ability is fed by Hollywood influence. For example, my Germans always say sentences that must have words like "Raus! Raus!", "Alarm" and, of course "Panzer!". Always shouting...