View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I too have experimented with using the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic in my PbP T2K campaign. I see granting Advantage as a way to reward player effort. I don't think I'd implement disadvantage, though- the world of T2K is harsh enough.

I've also toyed with Inspiration Points, which are awarded by the DM/Ref for creative gameplay, problem-solving, exceptional RP'ing, and that sort of thing. A player can have one IP at a time and cash it in at a time of his or her choosing. Oh, your player just took a round to the head, resulting in an insta-kill? Cash in that IP and we'll re-roll the enemy's to-hit chance or the hit location. Want to throw that frag into the open commanders hatch of a T-72 at 20m? Cash in that IP to get two Thrown Weapon rolls.
You're limiting your options not using DISADVANTAGE. It is the ideal mechanic for a temporary penalty due to player positioning or behavior. It would be useful for inflicting penalties on the "bad guys" too.

I like the INSPIRATION mechanic BUT two of my players come from the "gritty realism" camp and might not approve. The other two come from the "in video games every hero is invincible after the third encounter" camp. I must walk a fine line between the two camps.

This is my one really major complaint about D&D 5e. It creates "superheroes" NOT "adventurers" in the vein of old AD&D. The FEATS are over the top and EVERY CLASS has access to magic. WTF? Give me what my nephew calls "Vietnam Era AD&D" every time!