View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
That's a damned fine idea, it's a quick & neat rule that'll allow us to play around a little with the distinctions between Difficulty Levels without shifting an entire Level.

My experience with the Advantage/Disadvantage system in D&D 5th isn't so positive - there's a feeling around the table that, although the odds should be the same, the chance for success with Advantage is less than the chance for penalty with Disadvantage. As far as I know, nobody has checked to see if this is actually true or if it's all psychological but I do find that the rule itself has a middling to negligible impact on the game.
In our gaming sessions, it has been basically positive. I use it for "momentary" benefit or penalty during play. Gain surprise on a soldier who knew they were being attacked BUT did not know YOU were there? ADVANTAGE on the next attack. Suppressed by enemy fire BUT not over your CUF score yet (I use TW2K13 Coolness rules)? DISADVANTAGE for that round (only). Making a grappling attack and getting outstanding success? The opponent rolls his escape with DISADVANTAGE. Overall, I like the mechanic very much.

One area where the mechanic CAN complicate things is when using Autofire. Under my house rules, a weapon has a Rate of Fire (hereafter ROF) equal to its cyclic rate/100. So for an AKM (ROF 600), you will be rolling 6 D20s for a burst every Phase/Initiative Step. If the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic is implemented, you are now rolling 12 D20s. This can get out of control and bog down the game.