View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
There's at least one exception, though it's due to the French language and a quirk. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are also the Gendarmerie Royale du Canada and King George V made them a regiment of dragoons (awarded in 1921 for service in the World War so they could display battle honors for the three squadrons that served overseas).
Yes and No

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police/Gendarmerie royale du Canada has been use as a military force, a military police force and police force during its history

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) was formed in 1920 by the merger of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police (RNWMP), founded in 1873, and the Dominion Police founded in 1868. The former was originally named the North West Mounted Police (NWMP), and was given the royal prefix by King Edward VII in 1904. Much of the present-day organization's symbolism has been inherited from its days as the NWMP and RNWMP, including the distinctive Red Serge uniform, paramilitary heritage, and mythos as a frontier force

RCMP Military Honours

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police were accorded the status of a regiment of dragoons in 1921. As a cavalry regiment, the RCMP was entitled to wear battle honours for its war service as well as carry a guidon, with its first guidon presented in 1935

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Battle Honours are

North West Canada 1885 (As the North-West Mounted Police)

The North-West Mounted Police mobilized a force of 500 which fought alongside the Canadian Militia in 1885

South Africa 1900–02 (As the North-West Mounted Police)

During the Second Boer War, members of the North-West Mounted Police were given leaves of absence to join the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles (CMR) and Strathcona's Horse. The force raised the Canadian Mounted Rifles, mostly from NWMP members, for service in South Africa. For the CMR's distinguished service there, King Edward VII honoured the NWMP by changing the name to the "Royal Northwest Mounted Police" (RNWMP) on June 24, 1904.

The Great War: France and Flanders 1918, Siberia 1918–19 (As the Royal North-West Mounted Police)

On August 6, 1914, a squadron of volunteers from the RNWMP was formed to serve with the Canadian Light Horse in France. In 1918, two more squadrons were raised, A Squadron for service in France and Flanders and B Squadron for service in the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force

1937 the RCMP mounted the King's Life Guard at Horse Guards Parade, leading up to the coronation of King George VI.

The Second World War: Europe, 1939–45 (As No. 1 Provost Company (RCMP)

In September 1939, at the outset of the Second World War, the Canadian Army had no military police. Five days after war was declared the Royal Canadian Mounted Police received permission to form a provost company of force volunteers. It was designated "No. 1 Provost Company (RCMP)", and became the Canadian Provost Corps. Six months after war was declared its members were overseas in Europe and served throughout the Second World War as military police.