Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
Thanks Graebeard.

A degree in agriculture with specialization in obsolete practises.
I would say that thats pretty much the motherlode of knowledge on this one .

I was thinking (but should have said ) that I was assuming lucky conditions as you say , as far as losses to weather ,bugs and wildlife etc is concerned
and average as far as resources in T2K -meaning no machines,fertilizer is shit and compost .

Weather is a big factor and I was thinking something along the lines of seasons with tempratures like :
winter : november- february -cold ,possible frost and snows
spring: march-may - rising from 0-3 C* to 15-20 C*
summer:june - september 20-30 C*
fall: september-october 15-5 C*

or something like that .

Point being a limited growth period and a winter with no growth between harvests.

I guess we assume pretty much alike .
Thanks for the "crop schematics"
My degree is in agriculture, specifically production agronomy (field crops) from North Dakota State. My obsolete technology is self learned from an interest in history and how things were done. Also how I was brought up on a diversified farm in the 50s-60s. Though mechanized, we still had a working team of draft horses, rather heavy riding horses that pulled too. And a working steam tractor and threshing machine that was used on the farm for oats harvest (primarily for nostalgic reasons) until about '65.

Without doing the math for the temps, that looks about right for a large central section of the US. Also east of the 100th meridian the rainfall is 40" or more, usually in a good pattern for crops. Key word there is usually of course.

I will put together another table from my 'little black book' on field crops in particular. I really don't like the figures on that table much. The figures I have for pre WW2 would be much closer to what could be expected in post-mechanization agriculture.

Grae