View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Under current laws of war Chaplains can not touch weapons, this is the reason every one is assigned an aid.
Actually under rule 25 of the Geneva Convention, both Medical and Religious persons are permitted to carry small arms for personnel protection and protection of their charges(Wounded) There is also (Protocol I, 8 June 1977, Art 43.2) that states chaplains are non-combatants, but dose address the issue of weapons.

The aid you talk about is not seen in many armies, outside of the US Army which has Chaplain Assistants, which carry small arms.

Many NATO nations consider Chaplains as commissioned officer, and under ago basic officer training. Most nations require them to have an ecclesiastical endorsement which come from that person completed all the requirements to be become a Chaplain in that faith. Additional a degree may also be required.

Germany is a exception as it has laws and Reichskonkordat between the Holy See and Germany, all of which prevent chaplains from joining military they are instead special civilian status.

More info can found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_chaplain#Germany

It should also be noted that there no US military regulation that prevents Chaplains for be awarded marksmanship awards.

I remember seeing chaplains armed with pistols in Afghanistan

I don't think it would be a big deal to leave to the PC's to decide if they have a pistol or rifle (nothing else)