View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
The problem seems to lie with those who feel canon, in any of it's published variants (1.0, 2.0/.2, 2013) isn't relevant and should "officially" (for lack of a better word) be changed to fit their own perceptions. These changes are fine for those involved, but the apparent attitude of some of these people to want to force the alterations upon others, is totally unacceptable in my view.

And so back to my core point. We have a set, published timeline of events. It doesn't match up with reality, but it's not supposed to.
Those wishing to make changes should most certainly feel free to do so, but they should identify such as what it is - an alternate view.

To summarise:
Expansion of canon = good
Wholesale alteration calling changes canon = bad
Hello Leg

I'm not sure I understand you on that point. Canon is always relevant as you cannot make any change if you don't start with it. In the meantime, it is irrelevant and certainly not mendatory. If that was not the case, you would not have more than one single version. Actually, some of us consider v1.0 to be canon, others consider v2.0/2.2 to be canon...

We discussed this with smokewolf concerning T2013 a few month ago. The final conclusion was: the timeline is only an indication. If it fits you, fine, if it doesn't, change it as much as you want. I have the feeling that this statement is valid for all version of T2K.

However, I agree with you on one point, changes shouldn't be forced upon others. Nonetheless, I never felt that this was the case for anyone. Then, it seems fair to defend a point and to share it. That the only way you have if you don't want to be stuck with your own limited views. When anyone starts a thread (including myself) I often disagree (and yes, on second reading, I can even disagree with myself or find out that I'm out of the subject) but I never found that they had no point at all.

I have never noticed any wholesale alteration calling changes canon.

My point is simple: this is only entertainment and RPG, the only limit is your own imagination and you shouldn't restrain it in ways.