Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM

I found what you are all saying very interesting and I agree with what you said about basic knowledge but keep it simple and that will work fine in T2K (however, I have been raised next to a farm and that might help).

Seeds would be the most difficult thing to get indeed as you'll need to raid some kind of storage. By the way if the world turns to gene modified seeds which cannot reproduce itself, you'll have only two things left to do: starve and pass out (Hopefully this is not yet the case). For the next planting don't foget to keep a bit of everything. You'll have plenty of failures but you'll learn eventually if you don't starve during the first year.

About berry's and fruits, you'll need bedding plants (I don't know if it is the right name in english) and a good knife will do. Don't forget about the wild berrys, they are often easily turned into more or less domesticated ones (ask any eco-nuts they'll have some idea about it). People have also been known to eat grass and do soup with it.

About the places where you can do some planting, just pick the dark ground (usually reacher) and turn any graveyard into a crop field. You'll quickly find out that the dead are very helpfull for that matter (praise them and do the planting). Harlington would be the greatest crop field in US (no offense). Any rotting biological stuff might also be of some help.

Your first year will be very hard anyway. Choose wild picking in order to complement your diet and survive. Mushrooms are great as are wild berrys but don't forget to raid a library before you turn to them (this time your common sense might not be enough). however, you can use slave labor to test what you pick; if they survive you can eat it.

Raising animals is not that hard and don't worry in times of needs all animals are great. According to some in my familly, cats, dogs (your step mother puppy will become a perfect christmas meal) and rats are very fine meats. Moreover dogs or rats are easy to hunt and to raise (you can feed them with things you wouldn't eat and they breed about every 3 weeks for the rats). Enjoy people . Just for the little story, nowadays, governments in Asia (including India) are advising their populations to turn to rat's meat in order to replace beef. In some areas, don't forget about insects such as worms and grasshoppers. Some people in this world are making great stews out of them. In Africa or Asia, monkeys will do if you can forget about the fact that they look like human babies. Turn to fishing instead of hunting as I doubt that many of us are very good with bows and spears. You'll need to save ammunitions for self defense. I know how to make simple traps and everyone with a working brain can figure one out to catch small animals (again, rats and cocroach, Yummy!!)

As a matter of fact just use common sense and that works. about tools, you just need basic things to realize some great stuff: a small axe (even a knife will do if you have patience) and fire will be more than enough to do whatever you need. Then, you'll just need some wood sticks (usually 2) to realize some working tools. Floating woods will be everywhere and you'll find woods from ruined houses. If you really want metal tools, you'll need a hammer and an oven and again some brain (don't forget, that you'll have tons of metals around to melt).

Finally, if you don't have draft animals, women or kids (or again slave labor) will replace them perfectly. Nevertheless, when you get to this you are already heading toward industrial agriculture, for the basic your small exhausted muscles will be more than enough. How do you think they were doing in time when they couldn't afford draft annimals? Anyway women are usually doing great at work while men are useless and leasy. Keep the men for when you need raw strength and hard fighting. In T2K we are already doing most of the killing and you want also do the cooking.

Last edited by Mohoender; 12-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.