View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Hm. That's an interesting take. I was interpreting the two distinct damage types as representing shrapnel (Direct Damage) and concussive blast (Explosion), similar to the system employed by v2.2. It's familiar and it makes sense to me, real world modelling-wise.

I get the point v area target trade-off argument, but there are already modifiers in place to model that. As I read back through the Heavy Weapons section again, I don't see anything that specifically states or even implies that both types of damage would not be applied to targets within a hex if that hex was the intended targeted and a hit was rolled.

-
Like I said, the wording leaves a lot to be desired. If it's helpful, here's their written response from back when I asked a similar question about grenades. Unless I may have misinterpreted the response somehow?

Heffe: I had a quick question or two about grenades that I'd love some clarity on. First, an easy one. Do grenades suffer from deviation on misses? Reason would indicate that they would, but it's not stated explicitly in the player handbook so I wanted to ask just to be sure.

FL: Hand Grenades have some special rules about them, but other than those they follow the rules of Heavy Weapons, so yes the deviate if you miss.

Heffe: Second, grenade damage - grenades are listed with both direct damage and blast power. The example of a grenade being used in the player's handbook (pg. 68) indicates that the grenade only did blast damage to Diaz. Is that because the grenade only landed in the same hex as Diaz and wasn't targeting Diaz? Is there a certain proximity to a grenade that a target should be before they take both the direct damage and the blast damage? Should grenades only have blast damage and not both types? Or was the example just written poorly and Diaz should have taken more damage? Any thoughts here or official rulings would be super helpful to clarify the intent of the rules on this topic.

FL: When you use a Heavy Weapon, like a Grenade Launcher (or a thrown HandGrenade), you can target an individual (with a -2 penalty) or you can target something big (like a vehicle) or you can just target the hex. If you target an individual (or a large target), then that individual (if you hit) will suffer Direct Damage (2 for a frag grenade +1 for each extra success) and then there will be a blast (C for a frag grenade) that will do damage according to the explosion rules.
So, since -2 is a lot, it might be good enough to just aim the HandGrenade for the hex instead. Sure, no one will get the Direct Damage, but you also hopefully won't miss.

Source: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic...t=hand+grenade