View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
In my campaign, there was a Battle of Waxahachie, but that is about as far north as the main force reached. There and Tyler that is. Patrols and raids by Mexico and Division Cuba can get in as close as Mansfield and Desoto, but that is about as far as they go.
From a canon perspective*, Tyler is the Texian Legion "capital". I think the Mexican forces would have largely driven up the I35 corridor and stayed west of I45 due to the area being choked with refugees from Houston...and the terrain gets much more ambush friendly once you go east of Groesbeck. I imagine the US would have put considerable effort into holding at Fort Hood, so that's where I put the general defeat of the 49th by the Soviet Division Cuba at (there or just north of there).

Likewise, I can see the Mexican military making it to, but not past Lubbock. Even though there aren't any real geographic barriers driving north, just northeast of Amarillo is Pantex where the US stores it's nuclear weapons plutonium pits, and has facilities for manufacturing the explosive components for nukes. No way that's allowed to fall into an adversary's hands, and given that nukes were already uncorked, I don't think there would have been any hesitation on MilGov's part to nuke the Mexican forces (and, from a non-canon but realism perspective, the US would have nuked Mexico when they invaded in Jun of '98 - that's the whole point of a reserve nuclear stockpile).

* - not saying your campaign is "wrong", or even my interpretation is right by canon, it's just my internal rationalization of events per the relatively thin source material in the US Army Vehicle Guide.