View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered Registrant

Nope, no DU armour and no DU rounds.
I'm also given to believe that friendly nations cannot use DU rounds during training shoots here either.

As for the mileage of the Abrams, to be fair, it was originally designed to fight in Europe and everything was centred on that idea. To the best of my knowledge there are no tank designs that have addressed every aspect of a requirement for tanks in Australia. All our tanks with the exception of two designs, have been from the UK or the USA and these have generally been designed to fight either a European war or with a massive manufacturing and/or logistics tail (that we don't have the population to support).

Australia's Abrams will likely never leave our shores and so will bustle around the outback for most of their career (the last time we sent tanks outside the country was for the Vietnam War when we had Chieftains -- Edit: err, make that Centurions, we didn't have the Chieftain... I had a brain fart).

For those interested, the two non-UK/US tanks were the Australian designed/built Sentinel and the West German Leopard 1. The Sentinel was something of an achievement for Australian industry as it was the first time we had ever undertaken to design and build tanks and the armoured steel required for them. It was built to make up the shortfall in tanks able to be delivered from the UK during WW2 but unfortunately for the Sentinel, the USA was able to make up that shortfall so our indigenous tank was not needed in the numbers projected.
The Sentinel is also notable for being the only tank of the WW2 era to have a hull cast as one single piece.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 03-01-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake