View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I think I may have addressed this before but I can't find the thread. Someone with more motivation and free time should index all the Reflex System rules clarifications I've posted.

Most of the vehicle numbers can be engineered from real-world performance. Armor stats, which are key to combat, are the trickiest. Because the small arms ballistics formulas changed between 2.0/2.2 and Reflex, using the GDW armor formulas results in MBTs that can be mobility-killed with a FAL.* Thus, vehicle armor is a combination of "looks good enough" at low levels and the old formulas at high levels.

At low levels, my recommendation is to look up the real-world performance, find the Reflex Damage value for the heaviest round that armor will defeat, and add 3 to 5 points. For example, if a vehicle's armor is rated to defeat "anything up to 21mm Balkanian" and the published stats for 21mm Balkanian show it as having Damage 33, then I'd go with an armor value around 37.

At higher levels - basically, MBTs and vehicles based on their hulls - it's safe to use the old GDW formulas. These seem to provide roughly equivalent performance against tank-caliber sabots, whose damage is derived from the small arms damage formulas with a couple of tweaks.

Vehicle suspension actually has rules. For wheeled suspensions:
  • Motorcycle = AV 1
  • Passenger car = AV 2
  • Off-road consumer vehicle, light commercial vehicle = AV 3
  • Heavy commercial vehicle = AV 4
  • HMMWV or equivalent light tactical vehicle = AV 3
  • Armored car or MRAP = AV 4
  • Wheeled AFV = vehicle tonnage divided by 2.5
  • Tracked AFV = (square root of vehicle tonnage) multiplied by 3
- C.

* Not an exaggeration. We really did have a case where an average hit with something in 7.62x51mm could put suspension damage on a Leopard.
I was hoping you'd stop in here! Thanks for the rules.