Thread: Got AvGas?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM

In the warzones, avgas stocks on both sides are going to get a good pasting.

In the CONUS, I think there's going to be a good amount left. Relatively speaking there are fewer pilots than drivers, and fewer still who'd fly by eyeball once fancy navigation systems crapped out due to EMP. The military would seize as much as they could, but there are places where it'd cost more in fuel to get it out than you'd get, so generally it would sit there.

The JMC stuff I've been tinkering with has most of the AvGas in the metro Orlando, FL and surrounding areas at the disposal of the JMC. They currently have only a couple of flyable helos (but are looking to get more and/or possibly an airplane or two operating), so the massive volume at McCoy/Orlando Int'l, Sanford Int'l, and Orlando Executive will keep them flying well into the mid 2000s if not beyond. Sure there will be some spoilage, and some will be appropriated for other things (possibly - I'm not sure what else AvGas is good for except aircraft engines, although I could have something about it also being used as a backup fuel for hospital generators) but couple small airfields in (and there are a great many here as well as all across the country) and you see AvGas isn't a huge issue, just so long as you're not trying to keep thousands of fighters and hundreds of bombers aloft.