Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm not ever going to go up against Grae's data, coz' he's an expert and the go-to man for this stuff. Seriously, FORD should write a book for this stuff.

Back in the pre-Renaissance, it took an acre of feed to provide for one horse for one year, plus pasturage. As you can guess, that's a lot of food and it could supply a human for a year, so deciding whether to have one-man year's surplus or a horse that may die of a sniffle, lameness or stepping on an AT-mine is a big decision. Working horses aren't grass-fed, or if they are you suffer a lot of wastage.

I don't really think we'll go back to feudal level technology for more than five years, at most. There will be some survivors, and those that live through dangers such as famine will have knowledge like Grae's (of course they'll die from a lot of stuff no one can protect against; diseases, bullets etc).

What Grae has alluded to is the great amount of pre-motorised farm mechanisation. These instruments, usually made entirely of metal, can be seen planted in front of people's yards across every country. They are the invaluable (although probably radioactive) templates from which other machines can be built. I'm sure a quick search will turn up a wealth of data on the pre-motorised agricultural machinery, and give GMs ideas for including these valuable items into play.

As an aside, I once had a great picture of a T-55 hauling a plough.