View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I'm not an idiot and I know something of history. Yes zeppelins were used for trans-Atlantic travel. But they were absolutely HUGE craft with lots of leeway in their load and stress bearing frames. Isn't the discussion we are having about airships of a similar size to those described in Airlords of the Ozarks? I'm pretty sure a lighter-than-air craft of that size is going to have a really tough time of things in a gale or a storm.
1) There are currently airships of a variety of sizes operating in many locations. Some of them are even forced to deal with rough weather from time to time.
2) We're talking about airships of whatever size is going to be feasible. Obviously, bigger is better, provided suitable airframes can be fabricated.
3) Let's suppose we are limited to the small, slow airships of Airlords of the Ozarks and that they do have a tough time in extreme weather. What of it? Having experienced airship pilots available will help the new crews learn the do's and don'ts quickly. If airships can accomplish the mission by adjusting their operational patterns and accepting a certain loss rate, then a collection of posthumous Air Medals for the airship crews who became casualties is just one more price to be paid. It's sad for the air crews, but we do make a habit of discussing the deaths of millions in our fictional world.

Webstral