View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 AM

The respect towards any prewar cemetery would be a luxury in many communities. Nobody would worry about those who are yet buried while struggling to survive. So, some cemeteries would be left abandoned if their land is not useful. And many others would be used for whatever needed for the survivors. I find the explanation of Mo totally plausible. A few ones, with more hope and nostalgia than common sense, could have initiatives like the described by Mo. This kind of people always exists. And surely the rest of the world would see them as if they were in the edge of insanity, with and atrophied sense of the survival, more worried for the past and the future that for the survival. With luck, if somebody takes care of them and keep them alive, their legacy will help for the next generation after the war.

I don’t think that any of the graveyards near home would be of any use in the Twilight world. Our land is difficult and broken and our cemeteries are more limited in extension and don’t tend to occupy as much terrain as I see in some American films. The most part of the tombs are in the walls, as niches (thanks online dictionary ). And of course we have the family vaults, for the more wealthy.

My grandfather explained me that during the terrible winter battle in Teruel, in the Spanish Civil War, he and other republican soldiers slept in niches, the only shelter they were able to found. So, I suppose that cemeteries with niches and vaults at the outskirts of some towns would be used as provisional shelters and even for permanent residence of some marginal communities. The high walls and limited access points, obligatory in a cemetery with niches, would provide a good sense of protection against marauders.