View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
Bear in mind, promotions in Iraq right now are ungodly fast and there isn't a shortage of bodies coming into theater (by comparison to the Twilight War). I personally had one of my Corporals make Staff Sergeant in 10 months. That's right. E4 >> E5 >> E6 in a 10-month span. And he didn't die.
Me and buddy were talking about that. It nothing for Infantryman to make Sergeant in under two years now, with the rotations for many of the Infantry Brigades. One good thing about combat is that the ones, who are squared away in the field, do shine and get their promotion which to me is good thing.

Seen too many garrison super troops get promotion, which if you are show unit is nice. Yet, passing junk on the bunk and what not mickey mouse stuff one does in garrison will not keep you alive in the field.

When I was in 20 year ago it was 1000 points to make E-5, now it like 350. Also back then if you were lucky you could make E-5 in a 4 year hitch. Now you can make it with year or so out of Basic and AIT in infantry. Then again I remember recent E-6 who was promoted and the other E-7/E-8 were talking about how quickly the guy made Staff Sergeant, in like 6-7 years.

Also the influx of bodies also helps one get promotions up the ladder too.