Thread: Drozd/ERA
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
Definitely the BMP-3 in lesser numbers. The Objekt 640 was pretty much sorted but was spread over too many republics. I reckon it's a GM call.
The APC and terminator versions would never have been built so if you saw them both vehicles would be in the same unit, a scary proposition especially as they're both thermal equipped. Their survival rate would be tiny though.
The nail in the coffin for Ob.640 was the First Chechen War, where the poor performance of the T-80 convinced the Armor Directorate to cancel all gas turbine developments.

I suppose one other possible platform for Kaktus if Ob.640 had entered service would have been the BTR-T for use in urban combat over the BMP-3. The BMPT Terminator was just getting prototyped in the late 90s, while the BTR-T was a (relatively) quick and simple conversion of a T-55 to a heavy APC like Achzarit. The actual BTR-T uses Kontakt-5, but I could see them being used like the BMPT, with one or two BTR-T providing anti-infantry protection to one or two Ob.640 and being outfitted with Kaktus instead of Kontakt to simplify logistics and improve protection.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.