View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Because a number of the games made these days seem to be about "muh feelings". They give players a lot of opportunity to force their own narrative into the story without any regard to the story the GM is trying to tell. They focus a lot on a character's personal feelings but never seem to give any purpose for this, other than to supply unthinking players with some sort of motivation for playing the game - "If I don't have a Role, how do I know how to play my character?"
I mean having some ideas on what your character is supposed to do, feel, or act can open up some interesting options for the GM and the players. I know I have been reading some GM prep books and even seen some "How to" videos on youtube about how to get a better experience in RPGs. That losing yourself into a good background or even work on building that background while playing can open up all manner of wonderful narrative options. Still, making it forced on turn 0 is silly and stupid in my honest opinion. Rather, and I have experienced this on the table, the ability to present a situation to the players and have a PC drop hints that the situation isn't healthy for them.

Allows for the GM or even the PC to get more out of the role playing experience. Heck, I have had some GMs express to me (and other PCs at the table) that we need to forget about our real lives and think about these characters that we are building right now. Give them some life otherwise it is a boring time around the table and almost mechanical feeling of stepping through the rules, but not really enjoying the game.