Thread: French Orbat
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six
This is really good stuff, Mohoender..thanks for posting...

Just one question springs to mind...what sort of units would you forsee making up the French force in Quebec?

As to how Marseille survived, how about the missile intended for there missed its target by some distance...or malunctioned en route (and hit somewhere else hundreds of kilometres away!)?
The French force in Quebec would more or less be, I think, a kind of volunteer force with troops drawn essentialy from other units. A kind of Rag Tag unit, almost mercenary.

About Marseille, that's why I came up with Toulon being blown up. Marseille is the biggest oil terminal on the French Mediterranean Sea Coast. I can see more than one reason for that miss.

One solution comes from the fact that Toulon is only 30 miles away from Marseille (less in strait line). I can easily imagine that city being targeted in place of Marseille (the situation is confused). Even more so as it is the place where the french mediterranean fleet is located.

Another solution might come from the French Air Force. If the attack on Marseille was made by plane that one can be intercepted. Then it might be destroyed or drop the bomb on Toulon in order to help its escape.

I like these ideas but you can make it a simple malfunction if you prefer (I just find that a malfunction on Marseille and Quebec is way too much luck on the French side).

Some other points, then:
- A major refinery is located at Lyon and that one might not have been targeted as well.
- The French are getting oil from the region east of Paris and that survived too (no point of targetting it as the area is too broad).
- Paris escape as it has no strategic target outside the government, and you don't care about destroying a neutral government when you already have much work in progress.
- The french might retain some space capability as Kourou (French Guyana) survived and is still held. Ariane 5 wouldn't be an issue anymore but Ariane 4 might still be in use for satellite launches.