Thread: French Orbat
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six
Thinking some more about Soviet nuclear strikes on France..

Firstly, I confess that I have no clue what canon says about France specifically...I do recall that there is mention of non belligerent nations being attacked (wasn't there specific mention of Venezuela?)

However, France would be the only non belligerent nation that would have the ability to rspond in kind if attacked with nuclear weapons.
The canon didn't say much in fact and V2.0 is more than poor.

Actually, I don't think that the nukes hiting Frnace would come from Russia. Instead, I would see more of an attack from NATO. First, France betrayed them somehow. Second, when things go sour they might want to prevent France from supplying the Warsaw Pact. Third, that might explain why the attack on Marseille missed or was never carried out. Fourth, it gives one more reason for France to invade NATO Territory in Germany and Netherlands.

Nuking of Anvers and Brussel would certainly be from the Warsaw Pact, however.

With this scenario, French nuclear retaliation is unlikely but they might decide to sink NATO shipping in the Mediterranean and disrupt it in the Atlantic. They might well meet with success and if they don't I can't understand how they can maintain several troops abroad. Then, they will certainly use tactical nuclear devices when pushing to the Rhine (Pluton missiles and air dropped).

About Venezuela there is nothing, but Hugo Chavez failed with a coup attempt in 1991 (IRL). That would certainly be successful in the case of Twilight and you can imagine Venezuela becoming a member of the Warsaw Pact. Moreover, if you follow the V1.0, Nicaragua is still sandinista and might also think about joining with Warsaw Pact. That could explain why Mexico was capable of invading US as it would get help from other countries. A Venezuelian attack on Colombia is possible too as would be a Nicaraguian drive to the Panama Canal (In my game these happen only after U.S. troops entered Mexico but both attacks fail).

About Mexico, I put it the other way around with Americans fleeing into Mexico and U.S. troops crossing the Rio Grande to protect them. Really, I don't see why Mexicans (lightly touched by the nukes in the Tampico region) would flee to a country that was heavily bombed (U.S.). That is, at best, a stupid move

In the South America, I can see only one country remaining organized and that is Chile. Bolivia might attack Chile in the north but that would be crushed and Bolivia would get into anarchy or become insular. Ecuador and Paraguay would fell to the economic turmoil. Peru is mostly in anarchy because of Sendoro Luminoso. Uruguay would be crushed during the War between Argentina and Brazil. Drug cartels and guerilla will do most of the damage, then (as per canon).