View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM

I envision the Soviet Airborne contingent to the invasion being a company sized unit sent to Cuba just prior to the invasion in Norway. Their initial purpose was to serve as a training cadre for the Cuban Airborne forces. The origional plan was for an airborne drop in Florida as a diversion from the Alaska invasion, but Cuba refused to cooperate. After the strategic nuclear exchange Cuba, which had not yet been hit by nukes, offered Division Cuba, which included the paratroopers, for service in Mexico.

Along with Division Cuba Castro, Raul not Fidel at this point, sent nearly two divisions worth of Cuban "volunteers" to Mexico. Included in this number was a brigade of paratroopers. These traveled to Mexico over a period of nearly a year on a variety of transports.

I believe you're right that launching the airborne assault a day before the ground assault would make more sense.

An interesting idea is using civilian airliners to launch the air assault. Would it be possible to parachute out of the rear doors of a major airliner such as the 747? Perhaps they could set the autopilot... everyone bails... and the airplane then goes along until crashing. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of unused passanger aircraft sitting around. Give them enough fuel for a one way trip and send them on their way.

Benjamin