View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Since the Alaska Invasion started in June-July 97, before the nuclear exchange hit targets in CONUS, the full array of refineries, oilfields and techs were in place.

The orbats are for October 1, 1996, more or less. (The Soviets probably shifted some units around, since the Aluetian Front has to defend the Kuriles, Sakhalin and Petropavlovsk in addition to pulling off the Alaska invasion).

A lot of the air action also will be directed across the Arctic Ocean and into Eastern Siberia, since there is the threat of long range bomber strikes coming across the Arctic.

We are still working on a slightly revised nuclear target list. Most of the large refineries are on it, in line with the target list published by GDW. Oil fields are a tougher target, since they cover large areas and would require a lot of megatonnage to destroy. It's more efficient to hit the petroleum system at more centralized points, like refineries, port facilities or pipeline junctions.

U.S. casualties, according to Howling Wilderness, are 52% of the pre-war population. Barring some evidence that refinery and oilfield technicians (or computer engineers or any other technician) had a significantly higher casualty rate, it is reasonable to assume that about 52% of the prewar population of oilfield techs would be be alive. (With that said, I could see refinery tech casualties being higher, since they were working in nuclear targets, yet not all of them were at work when their workplaces were hit, not to mention the retirees, vacationers, people who had moved on to other jobs, etc). By 2000 I'm pretty sure that in areas controlled by either Milgov or Civgov someone would have thought to ask the residents of the various refugee camps and relocation centers the question "what did you do before the war" and be interested when the respones came back "oilfied roughneck" "petroleum engineer" "power company lineman" and the like. (On the other hand, people that responded with "financial analyst" or "insurance agent" would swiftly sent back to work in the fields).
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...