Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Abnother thing is in cold you NEED cream! I still have scars on my hands from cold weather training when a Boot. And even though wearing gloves most of the time my fingers split at the edges of the nail and the splits were down to about 2 or 3mm which made it painful if not impossible to use the affected fingers, to grab anything or touch them with those split fingers was a stinging burning pain that would give me pause!

As for water in cold climates.

I mentioned what happened to us in my first session of "arctic weather training"

And our Gunny, a nice guy but an IDIOT 1st Class and his fill in wasn't any better, although the third one was shit hot but he only lasted a year then the dickhead who followed him well I still pray his daughters end up in a snuff film.

But we ended up having to "melt ice" for water. But the idiot didn't pass out the heat tabs and such to do it with. So we really had no means to melt anything with. I came upon the bright idea of taking MRE plastic sleeves and filling them with ice and putting them in the sun when we did day operations. In my platoon the plastic casings were gold, each man had to have half a dozen to get a decent amount of water, the dark plastic would absorbe the sun better and if filled with snow, half of it would melt be the time we returned at the end of the day. A good portion would be greedily sucked down with enough to fill a canteen.

And we would also carry canteens in the open lashed to our packs or duece gear durring the day for regular training to help the sun melt the frocen contents as well as an MRE wrapper, half filled with snow on the outside of our gear or in a field jacket or Goretex pocket giving you about a liter of water.

So, those are a couple methods of melting snow into potable water without a fire or while on the move.

And for the record, we lasted for a solid week on minimal water eating snow, and no more than a liter of water a day doing such training, and I am talking hauling a sled, or walking up a mountain in skis ala herring bone or side stepping. I must admit, that was when I was in the best shape of my life ever! And alot of it was a result of that training.