Thread: Personal Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post

LOL and I'm older than you are me bucko!!!! Change is a good thing (or so my wife tells me every time we drive past any store!). Sometimes throwing a great big monkey wrench into the game system can lead to a great game.

And that's what keeps me coming back to this "outdated" game. Well that and getting to blow up canon material!
Lee,

Rock on, dude!

I started where you are with regards to updating TMP, then after taking a hard look at a lot of assumptions and modifications that have been made over the years (to timeline, gear) decided that canon deserved way more credit than people gave it. (Which is generally none.) Sure, change if needed, but not change for change's sake or because that's what everyone does!

Most of canon is authentic to the time and place it was made. This is what I see as the real strength of TMP, not as a generic game where PDs share a loose brand identification but little else.

To go a little further off-topic, I think the commonly-held assumption among TMP players that the Cold War doesn't matter and no one cares about is dead wrong. The wild success of Call of Duty: Black Ops would seem to bear this feeling out; this is a game that embraces "outdated" Cold War themes and technology, yet millions of gamers (many of whom weren't born until the Cold War was almost over or later) don't seem to have been turned off by this. You can argue that many different factors are responsible for Black Ops' popularity but no one can reasonably claim that the introduction of Cold War themes, background and weapons/technology has seriously hurt the franchise. I don't think it would hurt TMP either to embrace its Cold War roots, and this includes the canon timeline and gear.

Still, please accept my apologies for hijacking the this thread! It should be about what gear we lavish on our players.

Tony

Last edited by helbent4; 11-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.