View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
I always try to find a way to scale technology like this with known quantities. If we can assume it scales linearly the prospects are good.

Using the only real numbers we have from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and some optimistic lithium-ion numbers the NDB is 23.8 times more energy-dense for the same weight. So if we use the Tesla battery pack as our reference at 85kWh weighing 540kg, an NDB of the same weight would generate 2MWh. Given that the densities of materials only be slightly higher, it would be about the same size.

The only possible problems are around the thermals. All the materials talk about maintaining the optimum temperature for the battery stack. The radioactive decay is constantly heating the stack. There may be a limit on how dense the cells can be packed, making the battery larger.
2MWh,,, that is actually impressive. An MP vehicle with 2MW of power would a highly prized item to Krell, the KFS and anyone who knew its potential. also think of scaling it up or down. When I first read about them I started using them for anything battery related. Any battery powered item the MP uses would be a serious commodity or serious barter, trade or good relations item. The batteries at that point can be made permanent to the item or removable or exchangeable between items. Lots of fun with the technology... Also a great adventure idea would be a team finding a vehicle stripped down powering a small village and then have to figure out what happened to that team. Lots of good old fashioned investigation and sleuthing. A small side adventure if planned right. ,,,,, Just my 2 cents worth...