View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Found the first book. It's a lot like the second one. Still sounds like he and his teammate did all of the killing, the assault guys and machinegunners just did suppression.

Still, a good collection of war stories.
Finished this. Still 2.5 stars.

I do have to add a long story. Nearly all of the Ranger missions appeared to be nighttime snatch missions against Taliban leaders or bombmakers. One night, his spotter disappeared on the march to the target. Irving backtracks, and finds that his partner has fallen down a hole. A really deep hole, where he's in a bit of shock and treading water. When the Air Force CSAR guys pull him out, they estimated it was 80 feet down to the water. A later diver, sent to recover his rifle and laser, couldn't find bottom at 40 feet!

Anyway, the funny part is that while the other guy was waiting to be sent home with (only!) a broken leg, the SEALs on the same base gave him an honorary trident and HALO wings for surviving "the free fall and swim of his life".