View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
So I have a couple of questions of where the front lines are at two specific dates...

On or about May 24, 1997 where would the Battle front run through Poland?

Also does anyone remember the exact date that Italy declared war on NATO? Is it prior to the use of tactical nuclear weapons? I’m still interested in doing an alternate version where the war stays conventional much longer. Essentially saner heads prevail and NATO calls a halt well away from the Soviet border so as to not provoke a nuclear response. To me as tensions increase in the Med this seems a very reasonable course of action.

Thanks.
Benjamin
On May 24 Third German Army was jumping off after being stalled in Silesia due to poor weather. Panzergruppe Oberdorf was leaving Wroclaw, with 150km to Czestokowa. In the Second Army sector, III US Corps was approaching Chojnice, while the other corps were advancing generally in parallel. In the central sector II British and V US Corps are east of Poznan (probably near Kolo or Konin) while VI German Korps was consolidating in Poznan. In general you could extrapolate between their May 15 and June 1 positions on the maps.

Italy's declaration of war is on July 2. The first nuclear weapon is used in the West on August 9, so there's about 5 and a half weeks of conventional fighting.

That's an interesting alternative! I personally find NATO's embrace of expanded Polish borders in the east as beyond reckless, especially since Czechoslovakia was not overrun. That's a Soviet-controlled dagger just waiting to cut your supply lines and isolate an entire army group!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...