View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

I had an electonics tech tell me this once... If you knew the EMP was on it's way, there is a way to prepare yourself for it. Namely detaching the power leads to the electrical system and turning the thing on so that all of the 'juice' has been drawn out of the electical device. once that's done, switch it off position.

He told me that if you pull all the batteries out of your equipment (CD/tape players, boomboxes, laptops) or pulled the power plugs out of electonics, or detached the electrical systems.. the EMP can pass without getting blown. This came from the A-bomb tests... that inert electonics were not effected, only those with a 'vampire' surge or fully turned on was blown out.

And looking back, it makes sense of One of the things on the Ike (USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, CVN69... horah! that magic number) that all of us were trained to do by the shakedown teams Gitmo, and that was to pull batteries out of all our electonics when we weren't using them.

IF the military had spareparts on the shelves, yes it would be time consuming (and rely heavily on the stockpiles)... but you'd still be able to get through them.

Did anyone else get training to pull batteries out of electronics when they were not in use? It took my friends and family nearly 6 years to break me of that particular habit, right after i had done it to the TV Remote.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.