View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
That isn't really my point at all - my point is that the post-apocalyptic landscape is effectively an unknown territory, and like any unknown territory you need to bring anything you need with you. The relative scarcity of M1114 parts is irrelevant if finding them is a happy coincidence but not at all necessary. The most important factor should be the ability of the part or vehicle to perform the job, the supply chain is then built to support it.
No one is saying that this is the case………… It is just helpful that the same parts used on dumptrucks, moving vans, car haulers, tow trucks, beverage delivery trucks, and so; can be found at any heavy diesel truck dealership. What is your Team going to do? Wait for someone to journey to the regional base or unmanned delta base that may be a 1000 miles away? Then bring it back along with the tools and equipment to repair it? Have you noticed a maintenance and support job skillset in 3rd edition somewhere that I have missed? Yes, the Morrow Project is going to stock parts and even manufacture parts because the factories in the major cities were nuked and/or there are no longer power plants or a power grid to run them. Doesn’t make sense to totally ignore thousands of diesel mechanics; and hundreds of repair shops in small towns that do not attract the attention of soviet ICBM targeting when planning your post-apocalyptic recovery operations with a 3-5 year startup. Granted the casualtie will be high among those civilians, that equipment though is going to be sitting there useless without a power grid. Hundreds of these can be MI front companies for MP repair and recovery operations… Especially ones that can assist in getting civilian assets like garbage trucks, fire trucks, tow trucks, delivery trucks, and such running…….. F550s are common as hell.
Quote:
Besides, those parts are also part of what you are going to use to rebuild society, and parts that they themselves may well have already scavenged. If there are F550 parts around, I would want and expect to see them used in non-Project vehicles by non-Project personnel!
I don’t think that the Project was planning on scavenging to keep its own fleet operational. From a civilian fleet managers persceptive, it makes a great deal of sense to use what is already being manufactured, with known quantities and properties, when planning and purchasing your own fleet. From a costs perspective this makes complete sense and the MP is a bunch of altruistic nerdy idealists.
Quote:
Exactly. And that should include not only a good supply of repair parts but also facilities for producing more.
No one says there isn’t. It is a long walk back to the regional base or to get to a delta base just for spare parts. Wouldn’t it be better if you could trade with a local heavy diesel mechanic for the labor and parts just for his/her expertise; and because that person has the shop and tools? Makes for good role play too.
Quote:
I just think that if F550 parts are being used by the Project, the rationale would not have to do with ability to find parts, post-Apocalypse, from non-Morrow sources.
And how did this become mutually exclusive? By that rationale, the Project should be using U.S. military equipment that would better used restoring order and lawful government authority.

Quote:
A valid point, but there are lots of ways to handle this. And in the end, TMP is one of those games where players are naturally and reasonably going to want to spend a lot of time in their vehicles.
Getting them out for non-combat should be a non-issue, and getting them out for combat isn't that hard.
Heh, I had to destroy the V-150 to get the role playing going……. I literally could not get the PCs to leave the machine…….. They would find some way to drive there with weapons out the firing ports or would not go. They drove away from most encounters…….. It was pure frustration from the GM stand point.