View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
No one is saying that this is the case………… It is just helpful that the same parts used on dumptrucks, moving vans, car haulers, tow trucks, beverage delivery trucks, and so; can be found at any heavy diesel truck dealership. What is your Team going to do? Wait for someone to journey to the regional base or unmanned delta base that may be a 1000 miles away?
First, why would bases be so scattered? I mean, we only see one in the official modules, but how does that show us their actual density? Second, what are the odds that the part that you need is even going to be available at a truck garage anyway? Bearing in mind that the only parts that are likely to be interchangeable will be suspension parts anyway, it seems just as likely that you could jury-rig something as needed rather than find a direct replacement. And then yes, get the parts sent from the Project.

I should note that, related to this, I never, NEVER had all my players in one MPV. Big risk for any team, more than seems reasonable to bear.

Quote:
Hundreds of these can be MI front companies for MP repair and recovery operations… Especially ones that can assist in getting civilian assets like garbage trucks, fire trucks, tow trucks, delivery trucks, and such running…….. F550s are common as hell.
If they are fronts for the Project, why is this an issue? Heck, they could stock deuterium if that is the case!

Realistically, you cannot have a fleet of vehicles without establishing a logistical support network. Parts should and would be pre-positioned based on the likelihood and consequence of failure, whether that was at bases or just in supply caches at the Group-level. Likewise, whether we see them or not, the tools and skills would have to be there too, even if the entirety of repair in TMP is limited to two skills!

Quote:
From a civilian fleet managers persceptive, it makes a great deal of sense to use what is already being manufactured, with known quantities and properties, when planning and purchasing your own fleet. From a costs perspective this makes complete sense and the MP is a bunch of altruistic nerdy idealists.
But this is not a civilian fleet, it is a completely different conundrum with completely different assumptions. Plus, I cannot see why cost would be a factor here - the boss is a time traveler, there is no reason why the Project should not have had a finger in every major investment and development in the US. Heck, I would believe it if half the gambling winnings in this country were secretly funneled to Project accounts!

Quote:
Wouldn’t it be better if you could trade with a local heavy diesel mechanic for the labor and parts just for his/her expertise; and because that person has the shop and tools? Makes for good role play too.
I agree that it makes for good roleplay, but I would use that as jury-rigging - finding the spring or wheel bearing that is "close enough", banging and cutting it into shape, and then living with the reduced performance and questionable reliability until they get the correct part from command.

Quote:
And how did this become mutually exclusive? By that rationale, the Project should be using U.S. military equipment that would better used restoring order and lawful government authority.
It isn't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it's kind of like saying you want to build an air force based on commercially-available civilian parts - there are going to be a few places here and there where you can get away with it, but for the most part that F-14 just isn't going to take that Cessna altimeter! The ease of getting parts doesn't matter if those parts perform poorly and constantly fail because they are being overtaxed.

As a side note, when I did my last redo of the TOE, I started with the assumption that everything was based around the "current" US inventory - it would allow for easier movement and generally higher trust. That having been said, it would be mostly about appearances, with many differences compared to the issue vehicles.

Quote:
Heh, I had to destroy the V-150 to get the role playing going……. I literally could not get the PCs to leave the machine…….. They would find some way to drive there with weapons out the firing ports or would not go. They drove away from most encounters…….. It was pure frustration from the GM stand point.
Eh, if they really want to not do anything, I can wait them out. After a few ransacked, burned villages, they start to get the idea that they either have to adapt and take risks, or have a game whether they are just tourists to disaster. In which case, planning gets really easy!!