View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Have you spoken to anyone that has made that trick work? It sounds great in theory, but plain ANFO needs a decent sized detonation to kick it off and I'm not very confident that a rifle cartridge primer would be enough. In a previous life when I was a powder monkey we had a few tricks to turn ANFO from a low explosive into a low-grade high explosive, I guess that might give better results in rigged small arms rounds.
You may have to "upgun" the primer to get sufficient blast. The people in Africa who tried this used magnum rifle primers in 7.62mm casings (FALs). You can also "up" your flash by putting a cap for a child's cap gun (the paper strip kind) inside the casing in front of the primer. Keep in mind that even a small pistol primer will blow your fingertips off if handled improperly (I've seen this first hand). There is a significantly larger amount of power in primers than most people know. I saw a second accident involving a primer pickup tube with about a dozen primers in it. The explosion sounded like an M-80 and destroyed a lexan tube. The handler had to go to the emergency room to have his hand sewn back together (we think static electricity set them off).