View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM

For crazy was scenarios you can't beat Down To A Sunless Sea, can't remember the author off hand. This is going from memory here, and its a while since I read the book, but I know other people on here have read it, so please correct me if I'm wrong. It has the nuclear war start plausibly enough in the middle east, but it was how the UK involvement began that made me laugh. According to the book the government in the Republic of Ireland became left wing and made the IRA an official auxiliary wing of the army and built airstrips near the border so that they could carry out hit and run raids on the north. Then the Cubans (?) turn up with boats full of tanks and troops, the British demand that they withdraw and when they don't they start tossing nukes at Ireland Always thought this was slightly far fetched....

Another unlikely war scenario, although this one was conventional, was in the book Dark Rose. Again I can't remember the author and its years since I read it. According to the book Palestinians manage to buy lots of property and business interests in the Republic, and lots of representation in the Dail (Irish parliament). They somehow manage to end up owning more than 50% of Ireland and annex it to show Europe how life is for the Palestinians living in their own country but controlled by foreigners, in their case Isreal. The weird bit for me (well, weirder) was that the US didn't officially do anything, but did allow Irish American members of the forces to appropriate equipment including a Tarawa class ship and Harriers and carry out an unofficial mission to aid the British forces in freeing the south from the Palestinians.

More crazy scenario fodder for us there I think