View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Ok, now I understand, I was starting to fear I was the only sadistic GM around. In fact you are only advertising around here: "Look at the picture, isn't it nice to take a small walking trip with us?". Then, when your PCs are ready, it doesn't look exactly as it appeared : "Of course you can have that nice gun you always wanted, there is just a slight problem. The next available one is in the hand of a Cossack warlord in the middle of Siberia, protected by a full cavalry corps of elite horsemen and a few dozen tanks".

Well, my idea is there is a cost to what they want. Sure you can have the .44 Automag but you get 1 magazine and 6 rounds.....have fun! Oh yeah the enemy is a Catagory C unit and has 6 T-34s and they are hunting you. Have a nice day

Like, I have thought about giving the PCs a cool toy but, they need to fight to get the items needed to make it work, fuel, ammo or items to trade to the folks who have the item needed to make their cool toy function.

And of course I still pat myself on the back for giving the PCs a large supply of M1 Garands and letting them think they had a few cases of 30-06 ammo, but when they opened it, it turned out to be 7.62. No one bothered to think they could trade the locals for 30-06 since it was the most common caliber in the region and their MGs used 7.62, hehehe I laughed at that one though, built up their hopes and then dashed them on the rocks with a real life snafu.

And that I think is a key to good GMing, adding comical but real foul ups due to administrative error. And of course a lack of checking to confirm on the part of the PCs.