View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I agree with Stainless, except that I think troops returning to CONUS would find out about the split rather quickly, and possibly be aggressively be recruited or poached by both sides.
The way I've always read Howling Wilderness (and the other books) is troops returning to CONUS were largely aboard military/military contracted ships and landing in military controlled ports. This to me says MilGov. While troops would definitely hear about the split, it would likely be from the MilGov perspective/narrative. Troops joining up with CivGov after their return to CONUS would be marked as deserters by the military and MilGov.

Another point I think is interesting is both governments are going to bill themselves as "The United States Government". We use terms from the books but people in the T2K universe probably wouldn't. Well, CivGov might call MilGov...MilGov as a negative connotation for propaganda purposes. So when troops do get back to CONUS they're going to be presented with two groups calling themselves the USG.

Thinking about that, maybe troops and civilians would refer to the governments by their respective capitals, Colorado Springs and Omaha. Civilians would probably refer to their chosen side as the USG and the other side as something derisive.