View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
About Portugal and Spain, a great work, Mohoender. I will continue with the last version of the timeline later.

As a minor point, I don't like the idea of the inquisitor. I think it's not plausible, though a religious authority trying to exercise a certain control over
a divided country could exist
About Catalunya's independence trigerring a minor civil war. I will not do it. I agree that it is a strategic loss to Spain but this independence is made possible only because of the chaos and because people there think it as an aditional chance toward survival. I'm pretty sure that Catalunya comes under attack but this in my idea remain limited (but it will be useful when conducting PCs through the area). In fact, simply because the rest of Spain has other problems onto its hands and lack the military strength to react. Don't forget that Madrid is gone, central governement has ceased to exist and other regions are competing among each other (less competition might take place in Andalusia but that's far away). For Andalusia, there is no intelligent reason behind some more stability outside the fact that I fall in love with Seville. You can be certain that Spanish cities not to far from Catalunya are raiding the new country. Catalunya d'oesn't simply get its independence, it fights for it especially as it annexes the Huesca province (Aragon must not apreciate that move).

About the religious authority, I like the idea because I think it more than plausible (for Portugal as well). The extend of its control, however, is open to debate (even among myself). Nevertheless, priests have a strong point of reference to rally to and the Catholic church should remain united (at least in name). You might be right about the inquisition (I called it the Holy Inquisition not the Spanish Inquisition and therefore I should think a bit more about it: inquisitors could be around but not especially for Spain. Actually I already rewrote that part). I currently develop the situation in Italy and Italy has a Papal state with Rome intact. In fact, the new inquisition should come from there and it should be very different from the medieval one. Thinking of what you said, Cisnéros (whatever his name) should be in Rome and the new inquisition could well be a development of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (a somewhat inquisition with no judicial power as I see it). IMO Ratzinger would have made a great neo-inquisitor. That position is full of historical meaning and weight (especially in Spain where indeed it might not get such a warm welcome) but I'm fairly convinced that under the pressure of the Twilight War the Catholic Church could very well reactivate it. Actually, in the way I'm writing things John Paul II effectively dies in 2005 but the next pope is not Ratzinger. No chance that they ever elect a German with the Twilight war triggered by Germany (Gee what a weight for poor Germany which doesn't deserve that).

Last edited by Mohoender; 09-14-2009 at 05:29 PM.