View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
I remember seeing Red Dawn while on Liberty Weekend in Boot Camp. (I also saw Ghostbusters, Condorman, and Yentl -- don't ask -- that same weekend.) It has long been one of my favorite movies.

I'm not sure that a remake would really have the same impact today as it did 25 years ago. We now live in a society that all-but demonizes the mere access to a firearm, much less teaching our children how to actually use such an "evil thing". To show a group of high school students who not only have access to and know how to use guns but who are also willing to do so against other human beings -- and yet keep from portraying them as a group of psychopathic juvenile delinquents -- is almost asking too much of the hankie-wringers who seem to be infesting Hollywood these days.

On the other tentacle, I would happily go see a true movie adaptation of Starship Troopers...I have nothing against the existing movie nor the "Roughnecks" animated series, but neither of them match very closely the way the book played out in my mind. I also second (or third or whatever) the suggestion of a movie made of The Forever War. For that matter, I would love to see movies of Old Man's War and any of the Falkenberg's Legion books. (I was given a copy of West of Honor as a commissioning present, and have carried it with me ever since.)
It's a bummer how the world has changed so much in 25 years. To me the 1980's don't seem that long ago, yet I feel like I'm an alien in this world of today. Heck, I work with people who are so young, they don't even remember the Cold War.

Chuck