View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 AM

Default tried the sa-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
That's one way where there are extra weapons knocking around here - old terrorist caches, sometimes dating back to the home rule crisis of the early 1900's. Plus when the terrorists decommisioned their weapons this time round I'm sure not everything was got rid of, and the terr's armouries included weapons up to DShKa's, SA-7's, RPG's and LPO- 50 flame throwers.

And as a side note to military weapons ending up in the wrong hands;

Back in the early '90's when the SA-80 was fairly new in service a patrol was mobbed in a town called Coalisland. They couldn't open fire on a crowd of unarmed civilians so they attempted to withdraw. In the course of this three troops were relieved of their weapons by the crowd, a gimpy and 2 SA-80s. The gimpy was never recovered, but the SA-80s were found dumped in a field minus their magazines. How much faith does that give you in your weapon - even terrorists don't want it!

when I was on exchange with a Brit unit .

being "LINKS" -shooting on the left hand side did not improve my impression of it as it would throw brass in my face with every other shot .I did like the heft of it though ,small and handy -and a good optical sight that allowed for fairly long range engagements ,as well as decent night optics module for it .
My HK AG-3 ( G-3 to most of you ) felt like a Brown Bess compared to it .I could easily carry 400 rounds more ammo for it ,reloading a mag with fresh rounds was quicker than my battle rifle and so on .

But it had issues with the bayonet ( minor concern )but still,it didnt take STANAG mags all that well (US mags would stick in the well causing jams) ,it wasnt suited for lefties/southpaws and it ws bullpup which I dont like due to the controls being away from the trigger group and that its uncomfortable to carry laying across the forearms on longer treks.Although I am a convert to 5,56 today ,I felt it was a peashooter compared to our .308 AG-3 and the ranges /effect hat round gives .

Sadly ,AG-3 thefts from our mobilization armouries have occured ,and some have ended up in the wrong hands in places like Northern Ireland etc .I remember the lads berating me for it ,they were due to possibly rotate to Northern Ireland or some such.

About society loosing its electronics- I guess one of my major concerns would be the individuals acting in their own best interest while still wielding the vestiges of their former official powers .Police,army and local goverment people need food and have vices like most others .Requisitioning stores for "official uses" and stepping out of line in regards to teh populace would be easier with no internet,radio,printed press or telivision to spread the news of what was happening.

Last edited by headquarters; 06-09-2009 at 04:24 AM.