Thread: Drozd/ERA
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 06:07 PM

I'm performing some thread necromancy because I've been reading up a bit on ERA and Hard Kill systems as part of looking at the Armata and wanted to both provide and solicit ideas.

ERA is relatively easy to model, since it adds to armor in particular situations. Early ERA adds only to HEAT, while more modern ERA also protects against KE. Here's what I've been able to find (stats are for v2). Most of the numbers come from manufacturers, so take them as best-case optimistic numbers.

Blazer (1982): An Israeli ERA used on Centurion, M48, M60, and T-55 tanks. Adds 40 to AV vs HEAT. Adds 1,000 kg to vehicle weight.

Kontakt-1 (1984): Early Soviet ERA, used on T-55, T-62, T-64, T-72, and T-80 tanks. Adds 80 to AV vs HEAT. Adds 1,200 kg to vehicle weight.

Kontakt-5 (1985): A heavy ERA, used on T-72, T-80, and T-90 tanks. Adds 100 to AV vs HEAT and 60 to AV vs KE. Adds 2,800 kg to vehicle weight.

Relikt (2006): Relikt is an upgraded heavy ERA used on the T-72, T-80, and T-90. Adds 200 to AV vs HEAT and 160 to AV vs KE. Weight unknown to me.

I don't have numbers for Super Blazer, and don't have good numbers for Malachit (the new ERA on the T-14).

Hard Kill systems:

Drozd (1978): Used by the Soviet Navy for their T-55 tanks. Uses a sensor array at the rear of the turret and a total of 8 107mm HE rockets to shoot down incoming rounds. Approximately 50% successful, but can only protect the 60-degree arc that the turret is facing. Cannot be used with ERA. Weighs approximately 1000 kilograms.

Arena (1992): Shown mounted on T-72 and T-80 tanks, it was developed after Chechen combatants used RPGs to destroy tanks equipped with the Shtora passive anti-missile system (which relied on jamming sensors the RPGs didn't have). The system has 26 projectiles and protects roughly a 300 degree arc everywhere except the rear of the turret. Approximately 55% successful, though success is defined as halving the penetrative capability of incoming HE or better. Cannot be used with ERA. Weighs 1100 kilograms.

Trophy HV (2010): An Israeli system used on Merkava 4 and Namer, and set to be installed on M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams. Used a pair of launchers, each with 3 rounds. Claimed to be nearly 100% successful in recent use. Weighs 850 kilograms. Newer versions are lighter, but I have little information on the MV and LV.

As with the ERA, I know there are other systems out there (Afghanit, Akkor, Quick Kill, etc), but don't have much information on them.

ERA is pretty easy to model, given the existing rules in the core book and simply modifying them based on the AV for the specific type of ERA in use. How have people integrated hard kill systems into their games?

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.