View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Newbies report in, and the CO has some letter-writing to do:

335th TFS Offices, 1645 Hours Central War Time:

Major Matt Wiser was at his desk. He had taken care of what had been in his IN box, and was now finishing up two letters. Letters that no CO wanted to write, ever. The Major had tried a couple of drafts, only to toss them into the trash bucket, but now, he thought he had them right. Though the two lost aircrew were RAF, they had been flying not just with the squadron, but with his flight, and he felt he had to say something to the next-of-kin. Satisfied with the result, he was about to get up from his desk when he heard a knock on the office door. “Yeah? Show yourself and come in!”

His GIB, Lieutenant Lisa “Goalie” Eichhorn, came in. “Mark's busy,” she said, referring to the XO, Capt. Mark Ellis. “They're wrapping up their own debrief. So one of his NCOs gave me these.” She handed her pilot (and lover) some papers.

The CO took the papers. “Aircraft Status Report....twenty-two for the morning,” Guru said. That was his call sign. “Two straight days of being full-mission-capable,” he nodded. “Which will change.”

“Either mechanical gremlins or Ivan will have a say in that,” Goalie nodded. She was speaking from hard-learned experience.

“Both of 'em will,” admitted the CO. He scanned the other paper. “Weather update. Partly cloudy, cloud base 12,000 to 15,000 feet, highs in the upper 50s to low 60s, lows in the mid 40s. All right,” Guru said, putting the papers on his desk. “I wrote a couple of notes for Dave Gledhill to pass on. They're pretty much the same.”

“Why don't you read what you've got?” Goalie asked. “I'm a pretty good sounding board.”

Guru took a deep breath. “Okay...here goes. This one's for Ian Black's parents. 'Dear Mr. and Mrs. Black. I wish I didn't have to write this, but no doubt you have been informed by the RAF that your son Ian was shot down while flying a mission with the USAF in Central Texas. I was flying that mission, and both he and his wingmate encountered heavy enemy ground fire. His wingmate saw his aircraft take hits and catch fire, before both crew members ejected. The aircraft crashed, and no rescue attempt was possible due to his wingmate reporting enemy ground troops closing on on the two parachutes.'” He looked at his GIB and girlfriend. “How's that so far?”

“So far, so good,” Goalie said. “Go on.”

“'I would urge you not to give up hope, as many of those reported as missing in action have turned up on the POW lists, while others have managed to escape the enemy, evade capture, and return to friendly lines. Speaking from personal experience, this can be very difficult, but it is not impossible.'”

“You would know,” nodded Goalie. “That was no fun.”

“Sure wasn't,” said Guru. “Okay, here's the conclusion, and this is the hardest part. 'No doubt you will be informed by the RAF as to any change in his status. Unfortunately, this is all we know, and there is no other information. I wish I could say more, other than, I'm sorry for your loss. Sincerely, and with deepest sympathies, Matt Wiser, Major, USAF, Commanding Officer.”

Goalie nodded sympathetically. “They don't teach this anywhere. Not OTS, not the Academy, and not ROTC.”

“No,” said Guru. He got up. “Anything else?”

“Yeah, Eastbound C-141 brought newspapers, and two newbies. Corinne's one of 'em,” said Goalie. She was referring to a friend, Capt. Corinne Cassidy, who had delivered a new F-4 from Japan to the squadron, and was now being transferred in. “Want me to get 'em?”

The CO shook his head. “They outside?” Seeing Goalie nod, he said, “Tell them to wait a few minutes. We've got some squadron business to take care of. That means Frank's Article 15.”

“Will do,” Goalie said. “You want Ryan Blanchard?” Capt. Ryan Blanchard was the OINC of the AF Combat Security Police detachment assigned to the squadron.

Guru nodded. “Get her over, and have her bring two of her toughest CSPs. We may need the help.”

“As in throwing Frank out.”

“If necessary.”

After Goalie went out, Guru went to his secretary. “Trish, type these two up before you leave, and get the XO, Ops Officer, and Chief Ross over here pronto.”

“Yes, sir,” the staff sergeant replied. “Won't take but a minute to type these.”

“Good,” the CO said. She made the calls, then typed up the letters. He scanned them, and nodded approval. “These'll do. You have a good evening.”

“You too, Major,” Sergeant Loyd said, just as the XO, Ops, and Chief Ross came in, followed by Goalie, Ryan Blanchard and her CSPs.

“Looks like everyone's here, almost,” Guru said. “Except for the guest of honor.” He turned to the Day-shift SDO, Digger. He was normally Flossy's GIB, but was getting over a sprained ankle. “”Digger? Find Frank and get him over here. Tell him I want to see him in my office.”

Digger nodded. He had a good idea of what was coming down, having seen the JAG officer come in earlier. “Will do, Major.”

“All right, let's get this over with,” Guru said, nodding to the others. “Ryan? You come inside, but have your guys waiting nearby.”

His CSP Officer nodded. She was a former Deputy Sheriff, and knew full well what could happen-even in civilian life, when people got unexpected bad news. “And my guys might have to help throw Frank out.” It wasn't a question.

“Right.”

They went into the office, where the XO, Capt. Mark Ellis, asked Guru, “You worried about what's going to happen?”

“In the next five minutes, no,” Guru said. “What I am worried about is down the road. Lot of pressure building up-not getting the squadron, then he didn't make the cut for the F-20-”

“And General Yeager saw his 201 File, right?” Capt. Don Van Loan, the Ops Officer, asked.

“Right. No way, Yeager told me, was Frank getting into the F-20,” Guru said, recalling the discussion he'd had with the General. “So...all of this means there's a lot of pressure on him.”

Chief Ross nodded. “Major I've seen this before. Guys have a ton of pressure on them, and when it pops.....It can get ugly.”

“That it can,” Guru said. “My worry is that when he does pop? He gets not only himself killed, but friendlies as well.”

“Not good,” Goalie observed.

“No,” said Ryan Blanchard. In her time as a Deputy Sheriff, she'd seen people snap and go off. Sometimes they got themselves killed, other times, bystanders got killed, and there was some property destruction involved as well. She looked out the office, and a familiar-and loathed-person came in. “Frank's here, and he's in his undress whites.”

Guru looked at the clock on the office wall, then his own watch. “1702. Right on time. Okay, let's get this over with.” He saw Digger motion towards the office, then Frank came to the door and knocked. “Come on in.”

Major Carson came in, and as Blanchard had said, he was in his undress whites. “You asked to see me, sir?” He said, and everyone could hear the contempt in his voice as he saluted-which, as usual, was Academy perfect.

“Have a seat, Frank,” Guru replied as he sketched a salute of his own.

“I'd rather stand, sir,” Carson replied. He regarded the CO, and only saw an OTS-trained peasant from some small town in California who, if he had gone to the Academy, might have deserved command. It still galled him that Guru had been put in as XO, and then when Colonel Rivers had been killed, not only confirmed in command, but even promoted! Then his talents had not been recognized for the F-20 program, and it still rankled. Throw in the casual disregard for Air Force Rules and Regulations that not only Guru, but Colonel Rivers before him, had tolerated, even encouraged, much to his disgust, and it upset him that two generals had not only ignored his complaints, but encouraged the current CO to continue with what he was doing. “May I ask what this is about?”

“Rewind about ten days ago, during a stand-down,” Guru said. “You were getting ready to sit Zulu Alert, and were in the Ops Office.” He glanced at Goalie. “You said some nasty things about my GIB and my wingmate.” The CO meant Kara, and everyone knew it.

“So?” Carson said. “I'd say that those words perfectly describe them.” He glared at Goalie with total contempt. She was a fellow Academy grad, and in his opinion, didn't conduct herself like one. She was way too chummy with these ROTC and OTS grads, and sharing the sheets with her pilot-who was the CO.

“You should've kept your mouth shut,” Goalie said.

“She's right,” Don Van Loan added. “Everyone in the office heard you.”

“What do you mean?” Carson asked.

Guru shoved a piece of paper in front of him. “This. Congratulations, Frank. That's an Article 15, and it's got your name on it. Everyone concerned, whether it's JAG, Tenth Air Force, the Air Force Personnel Office, TAC HQ, whoever, has a copy.”

“You can't be serious!” Frank wailed.

“Oh, but I am,” Guru said. Then he got into Frank's face. “You should be glad that's the most you're getting. After the shit you've pulled-at the Academy, Elmendorf, Clark, or in this squadron-”

“Especially what you pulled with Flossy,” Ellis added.

“Right on that-and you are probably counting your lucky stars you've never been in front of a General Court-Martial,” Guru said. “So...your career has just been effectively terminated. When that first postwar RIF comes-assuming you survive, that is, you're one of the first out.”

“You can't...” Carson said.

“Oh, I can't?” Guru shot back. “I sure did. And I'm giving you a warning: you are no longer on the clock to New Year's,” the CO said. “One fuckup, just one, and you are OUT. I could care less where they send you, but just pray that said fuckup doesn't get anyone in your element killed, or any other friendlies.”

“Are you saying...”

“What I'm saying is that if you want to avoid that, come to me first thing in the morning and ask for a transfer. I'll have you out of here so fast it'd be a relief to everyone around here. The only regret is that I'd be inflicting you on a fellow officer who'd be wondering what he'd done to deserve you around. But if you stay....you have had your last chance.”

“My father will hear about this!” Carson wailed.

“So?” The CO shot back. “Lot of good that'll do, because expunging one of these has two chances: slim and none.” Guru then got back in Carson's face. “In case you're wondering, your by-the-book-attitude and Academy know-it-all arrogance is the top reason I've loathed you ever since we crossed paths. But the second reason is that shit you tried to pull with me and Goalie! Even after a directive came down saying that fraternization issues were very low priority-with winning the war coming at the top!”

“Which makes you a first-class hypocrite,” Ryan Blanchard observed. “Too bad I can't put cuffs on you for what you did with Flossy, even though you deserve it.”

Carson glared at all of them, then looked the CO straight in the eye. “Is that all, sir?” He said in a very arrogant tone of voice.

“Consider this your first, last, and only warning,” Guru replied. “Do you understand me?”

“Yes.....Sir.” Carson's reply was dripping contempt, and everyone knew it.

“I hope you do,” Guru said. “Now get out of my sight!”

Carson snapped a perfect Academy salute, then about-faced and left the office, slamming the door as he did. He did the same thing as he left the building, leaving the admin people wondering what was going on.

“That is not a happy camper, Boss.” Ellis observed.

“Oh, you noticed?” Guru said, tongue-in-cheek. “Yeah. He's going to pop. The only questions are...”

“When, and how bad,” Van Loan said. “Not to mention is he going to get anyone killed?”

“All three are valid,” said Guru. “Okay, word's going to get around, so no razzing or harassing him. I don't want to give him a reason to lash out at anyone. Chief?”He turned to Ross.”He starts behaving out of line to NCOs and enlisted? I want to know it. But-” the CO waved a forefinger. “It has to be firsthand. No runor or innuendo. Got it?”

“Perfectly, sir,” Ross said. He knew the drill, and would make sure only firsthand knowledge went to the CO, if it came to that.

“Good,” Guru said. “That's that.”

“Newbies?” Goalie asked. She was reminding the CO about the two new pilots.

“Forgot about that,” Guru nodded. “Okay, Chief? Go ahead and show them in, and you can have a good night. Tell Ryan's people they can knock off as well.”

Ross nodded. “Yes, sir.” He left the office, and motioned to the two officers. Then he found the two CSPs, and all three left the building.

The two officers, a female Captain and a male First Lieutenant, came in. Both saluted, and the Captain said, “Reporting for duty, sir.”

“Captain,” Guru replied, sketching a return salute. “And Lieutenant,” he nodded at the male officer. Then he turned back to the Captain. “Hasn't been that long, Captain,” the CO said to Capt. Corinne Cassidy, late of the TransPac Ferry Run. She had delivered a new F-4E to the squadron a week earlier.

“No, sir,” she grinned. “And glad to be away from ferry flights and getting a chance to do what I'm trained to do.”

Goalie let out a grin. “Good to have you around, Corinne,” she said.

“Got your orders and personnel jacket?” Guru asked.

“Right here,” Cassidy replied, handing the material to the CO.

Guru scanned her 201 File. “Impressive. Physics major and a history minor at the Academy. First in your UPT class, then T-38 IP, and we do know your Day One adventure.” He was referring to Cassidy, on Day One at Laughlin AFB, blowing through a flock of Mi-8 Hip troop carriers and knocking one down with jet wash. Then he noticed something in the jacket, then on her fruit salad. “DFC?”

“There were a couple of senior instructors up who saw it,” Cassidy replied. “One of them must've written me up for the award.”

“Figures,” Guru said. “Okay, stellar record at Kingsley Field, and you were on the ferry run because you wouldn't sleep with an instructor. That's not in the jacket, but you did mention that last time you were here.”

“SOB was a friend of Tigh,” said Cassidy, referring to Colonel Saul Tigh, who ran the RTU at Kingsley Field, Oregon. “So he told Tigh, who had the orders cut sending me to the ferry run.”

“Like Kara,” Guru noted. “Okay. You'll find out who you're flying with tomorrow. Either with the XO, or Ops,” the CO said. “And you do know both of 'em.”

Cassidy nodded, shaking hands with both Ellis and Van Loan. “Sounds good, Major.”

“All right,” Guru nodded. “Lieutenant?” He asked the male officer.

“Brandon Doucette, sir,” he said, handing his orders and jacket.

Guru scanned the file. “University of Oregon, Bachelor's in Math, minor in P.E.,” He looked up. “You were going to be a teacher?”

“Yes, sir,” Doucette replied. “Just started the teaching credential program when the war started. Dropped out and joined the Air Force.”

Guru nodded. “You do realize that, even if the war ended tomorrow, you'll still have a commitment to the Air Force?” The CO asked.

“I do, sir, and when I do get out? I can go back to school on the Air Force's dime. Vet's benefits and all that.”

“Assuming you make it,” Cassidy added. “That little issue is always there.”

The CO nodded. “It is. All right....” He scanned the file. “You wanted F-16s after UPT, but they sent you to Double-Ugly, says here.”

“Yes, sir,” Doucette replied. “When I got to Kingsley Field, though, had a couple of instructors who said that, battle damage that would kill an F-16, an F-4 still flies. So, I guess I'm lucky.”

Mark Ellis added, “There's people in this squadron who can add to what your instructors said. In this very room, matter of fact,”

“You could say that,” Goalie chimed in. She remembered a couple of instances of coming back with battle damage, and another instance of a divert due to the same.

The CO nodded. He, too, remembered those missions. “Okay, three things before we let you go. First, tomorrow, I want you two to have a meet with Captain Blanchard here. She runs our Combat Security Police detachment, and you have probably noticed the two AK office decorations-which are quite functional, by the way,” Guru said, nodding back to the wall behind his desk, where an AKMS-which he had carried with him on his E&E-and an AK-74 were hung prominently. “There is a serious Spetsnatz threat here, and with this squadron under Marine OPCON for the duration, they take the 'Everyone a rifleman' mantra seriously. So, you will see Captain Blanchard, and she will help you pick out a sidearm and a long gun. Then two of her CSPs will instruct you in the proper care, feeding, and use of said weapons.” Guru looked at both of them, and they could tell the seriousness in his expression. “Do I make myself clear?”

“You do, sir,” Cassidy said, and Doucette echoed her.

“Good. Now, you probably noticed some F-4s with RAF markings in the dispersal area. They're here as part of a show of Allied Unity, and this was their first day in the tac air arena. A lot different than chasing down Backfires and Bears over the Atlantic. They lost a bird and a crew today, which brings me to my second point: seventy percent of our losses are people who don't get past ten missions. The crew that went down was on their fourth. Something to keep in mind, people,” Guru said. “Understood?”

“Yes, sir!” Cassidy and Doucette said at once.

“Good. Now, last thing, and a little more fun,” the CO said. “Either of you have call signs yet?”

Cassidy nodded. “They gave me one at Kingsley Field, Major.”

“You didn't say that when you were here,” Goalie said.

“Nobody asked,” Cassidy said. “We were down at Stead for a weapons det and some flying with the Navy out of Fallon, and went into Reno a couple of times. They saw I like low-cut civilian clothes, so...”

“Let me guess,” Ellis jumped in. “Lamb?”

“Look at My Boobs,” Goalie joked. “We almost gave that to Flossy, I think.”

“We almost did,” Guru said. “Did that stick?”

“No, sir,” Cassidy said. “They gave me Snag instead.”

Doucette looked at her. “Snag?”

“Still not a guy,” she replied cheerfully.

“Then we'll keep it,” the CO decided. “How about you, Lieutenant?”

Doucette shook his head. “They never gave me one, sir.”

“Call me Guru on the radio, or Boss on the ground,” Guru said firmly. “We're pretty informal around here. So you can forget some of what you learned at knife-and-fork, or the Academy, for that matter. As for your call sign?” He glanced at the XO.

Ellis said, “We'll ask you some pointed questions in the Club, probably tomorrow night, and we'll get you a call sign based on your answers. And if you don't like it?”

“We'll find one more embarrassing,” Goalie chuckled.

“That we will,” Guru said. He glanced at the clock on the wall. 1720. Then he held out his hand. “On that good note, welcome to the Chiefs.”

“Thank you, sir,” Cassidy said. “Uh..”

Guru smiled. “Takes a little getting used to,” the CO said. “Lieutenant, welcome to the Chiefs.”

“Thank you, uh, Boss.” Doucette said.

“You're welcome, both of you,” the CO replied. “Mark?” He asked his Exec. “Take the Lieutenant over to Male Officer Country and find him a bunk. Goalie? You and your old classmate can talk old times while you find her a bunk in Female Officer Country. Then get both of them over to the Club.”

“Will do, Boss,” Ellis said, and Goalie nodded.

“Okay, don't worry about changing, because everybody will know you're newbies tonight,” Guru said.

“And tomorrow night?” Doucette asked.

“Animals in the Zoo,” Cassidy said. Memories of nights in the O-Clubs at Kadena, Hickam, and Travis came to mind.

Guru nodded. “Snag's pretty much on the ball,” he said. “That's it. We'll decide flight assignments and ground duties tomorrow,” Guru then smacked his desk with an open right palm. “See you all in the Club.”

Old USMC Adage