View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
So, how much of this help would be in the form of Naval and Air Forces and how much Army forces do you think New Zealand could spare? I'm thinking given the conditions of the Twilight War, even New Zealand would have conscription. But do the conscripts serve at home keeping the country together, or are they send to fight in the Indonesian War? Personally, I think it would be better for morale and maintaining discipline if the conscripts were kept closer to home and the volunteer (and therefore more professional) forces were used to support Australia.
Australia and New Zealand might well introduce conscription during the Twilight War.

Sadly New Zealand no longer has a combat air force IRL. It still has its Skyhawks in mothballs after a deal to sell them was suspended for reasons that have not been made public (there is another thread on these forums in which that was discussed). If the Cold War had not ended it is not inconceivable that New Zealand might have gone through with a plan that was put forward during the early 90s to lease F-16s from the US. The RNZAF's operations in the Twilight War would mostly involve moving troops and, equipment and supplies around.

New Zealand has a pitiful navy and its two ANZAC class frigates were commissioned in 1997 and 1999 IRL. Perhaps Australia and New Zealand might have produced more ANZAC class frigates and commissioned them sooner if the Cold War had not ended.

New Zealand's main military assistance to Australia would be through the Army, especially special forces. The Australian and New Zealand SAS train and operate together very regularly and I think they are universally regarded as being highly effective (though few in number). New Zealand currently operates LAV IIIs IRL so it is possible that during the Twilight War they might deploy mechanised infantry forces equipped with LAV-25s/ASLAVs alongside Australian Army forces. And of course standard infantry and M-113s.

Last edited by Targan; 08-27-2009 at 12:35 AM.