View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
The problem is to reach the good balance. With AD&D the lethality is too high and doesn't help the game anymore. However, we make fun of the GM, pointing out that none of us ever saw the end of one his game.
The good balance... A key element in the secret formula of a good roleplaying session! It's a work for the GM to garantee the balance. But I agree in the fact that some set of rules are too lethal.

But, with time and observation, I have built for myself the opinion that the major cause of mortality in a group of playing characters is "the hero that is struggling to reach the surface" in every player. Some setups or games allow the hero in nearly all the ocasions. Others allow it only in a certain extent. Generally, the player with a fire weapon will always try to shoot. The player with a sword will always try to swing it against the enemy. In a combat, the player thinks that his/her character is loosing time if he is not killing anybody. Things like retreat, wait, cover, defensive actions, etc, are secondary or only take into consideration if can be doing while attaking. So, a lot of time the character is exposing himself to the enemy. And if the set of rules is lethal... Sometimes a little tuning time may be required in more lethal set of rules.