View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
So, big question back to you, as a resident of the Iberian Peninsula, would Portugal (in the mid-1990s, not now) stayed in NATO or withdrawn? Under a goon like Salazar they would have stayed in, but I'm not familiar with Portugal's politics in the 1990s. They, like Spain, have everything to lose and nothing to gain by joining the conflict. At least in the short term. Granted, it would suck to have the Iron Curtain roll all the way forward to the Rhine for the next 50 years, but I just can't see the Red Army (in TW2K) rolling through Portugal and Spain.
Bon dia!

Sadly, I must recognize my nearly total ignorance about Portugal and the Portugueses. I suppose that my situation at the opposite site of the Iberian Peninsula (I live near Barcelona) is one of the causes of this ignorance. In Catalonia, more commonly we tend to travel across our northern frontier towards France, Central Europe or Mediterranean Europe. Now, thinking about it, we received very few news from our discreet neighbors of the East, especially when compared with the quantity of news and information from the rest of Europe. So, my lack of knowledge about Portugal prevents me to make any well-based supposition about their attitude towards NATO in case of a Twilight-style war.

Other regions of Spain (among others Extremadura or Galicia) have very strong ties with Portugal. If Spain retreated from NATO and with the situation depicted in the gazetteer (retreat from Ceuta and Melilla, pirate incursions in the Mediterranean coast, etc.), I think that Spanish government would try to accept Portuguese refugees. If not, probably the government would have to do it after discovery that Spanish citizens have been accepting them before any official declaration. The situation would be bad but not desperate, especially if we had not try to keep the impossible to defend Ceuta and Melilla, and the pressure to help the Portuguese civilians would be strong.