View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Other regions of Spain (among others Extremadura or Galicia) have very strong ties with Portugal. If Spain retreated from NATO and with the situation depicted in the gazetteer (retreat from Ceuta and Melilla, pirate incursions in the Mediterranean coast, etc.), I think that Spanish government would try to accept Portuguese refugees. If not, probably the government would have to do it after discovery that Spanish citizens have been accepting them before any official declaration. The situation would be bad but not desperate, especially if we had not try to keep the impossible to defend Ceuta and Melilla, and the pressure to help the Portuguese civilians would be strong.
That seems reasonable. I'm not sure how badly Portugal would be hit, even if they did stay in NATO, so I'm not sure how many refugees there would be leaving Portugal for Spain. Of course, since Brazil isn't hit in my scenario, maybe Brazil shows up to offer aid to Portugal... even offering to take in refugees. This could cause big problems at home in Brazil where taking in Portugese refugees might be seen as giving aid to "whites" while the "blacks" in the Brazilian slums are suffering. I'm not sure what Brazil's race relations are like, but they didn't dump slavery until the 1870s and there is definitely a color line in the country. Still, it would be an interesting turn of events to have the home country getting aid from the former colony.

Does Spain still have a "Foreign Legion?" Once upon a time there was such a formation, much like France's colonial military. If Spain is overrun by Portuguese refugees, one way to ensure your family stays fed and sheltered by the Spanish (or French) government would be to sign up for military service. I'm sure both countries would rather burn up foreigners than natives keeping the Muslim pirates and Jihadists away from their borders.

Undoubtedly there will be a few over-anxious North African wack jobs who think that now is the time to reconquer Spain and declare the Caliphate of Al-Andalus. I'm not expecting Morroccan tank brigades rolling through the Spanish hills, but bands of fanatics armed with AKs would be showing up confident that Allah will grant them victory and their faith will armor them against the infidels' bullets.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing