View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
I don't think we are in disagreement about what would happen to Portugal during a Soviet nuclear attack. I just don't have enough information at my end to speculate on which targets in Portugal would be targeted.
I agree and that's why I only list one target in the North. There is of course a few Dams on the Douro river but nothing to justify a nuke.

The main differences between Porto and Lisbon lay in the cities layout.
- Lisbon is located on the Tage river and it is wide open. It is also a fairly flat area with a few low hills. If hit by a MIRV nothing will stop the blast. All facilities are located both on the Atlantic and on the Tage which is very large.
- Porto is on the Douro river and the region is not as flat. The refinery and the modern harbour are located to the north and, if the refinery is hit, the modern harbour will be destroyed as well. The modern quarters and the upper parts of the city will also see extensive damages while the modern building on thesouthern bank will suffer some damage as well. As I expect only a limited strike on the city, I count that the old city will be relatively shielded as it is located on both side of the river, at the bottom of two high cliffs. Even the eiffel bridge could survive. The airport, however (on the south bank), will survive and will certainly be turned into the main base for what survive of the airforce. The only other airport of some importance being at Villa Real and Braga.

Quote:
1) Is Porto used by NATO ships? Is it just a port or is there a naval base?

2) Where are the Portuguese naval bases?
At Porto you'll find nothing more than a few patrol ship (mainly police and custom). The main naval base is and always was at Lisbon. If the modern harbour at Porto survive, it could be of use but I doubt it does.

Quote:
3) What are the critical targets in Monte Real and Beja? Sintra is the military HQ, Montijo is a transport base (do you mean that it's a rail transport hub?), but what's in Monte Real and Beja that's work a nuke?
Monte Real is the fighter base while Beja is the training and naval patrol base. For Montijo, it is the main airlift base.

Quote:
I don't think the old men in the Kremlin will give a damn about any Portuguese leftists in the blast radius around Beja. If Beja is worth nuking, then it's gonna catch a nuke. On the other hand, I do like the idea that there could still be European leftist groups fighting against what's left of the central government. During the war, these groups would have organized civil disobedience, protests, the avoiding of conscription and in the most extreme cases acts of domestic terrorism as part of political campaigns against the war effort. After the nukes and the general slide into chaos, there's no reason why the more communist elements (those that envision a time for armed struggle) wouldn't try to organize for genuine revolution... or if not a genuine revolution then a warlord-style cantonment where they call each other "comrade" and steal all the farmers' crops for "redistribution."
Today you would be right but at the time of T2K it would be an entirely different matter. I would have expected these guys to retain several weapon caches. In addition, they are far from being simple leftist and they are true diehard communist in the old meaning. Don't forget that they took over the Portuguese revolution only 20 years before and they had very strong ties with Moscow. They were only countered by the return of Mario Suarez. At last, all the archives of Salazar's regime have disapeared and they are strong rumors that they have been transfered to Moscow. I agree with you on what they would establish over the South.

Quote:
I also presume that the north of Portugal has a fairly low population density too. I like the idea of civilization retreating to the fastness of the mountains to regroup. Of course, their biggest problem will be getting over-run by refugees fleeing all the chaos, fallout, and panic in the south of the country.
You presume in the wrong way. Portugal's population is about 10 million with the most populated area being Lisbon and its surrounding targets (3.5 Million). These will almost be entirely gone (at least 75% casualties) with 80% of the country's industrial capacity.

The second most populated area is Porto with roughly 2 Million. There, you can expect a good 1 million casualty with more damage to the industrial network. However, the wine business at Villa Nova de Gaia will be turned to energy production and the Douro river can be used as a good bloodline. Hard road communication will not be a problem for those living there. In 1986 you needed 4h to go from Porto to the wine producing region only 80 miles away. In 1995 that time was down to 2h30. Most vehicles will be donkeys, mules, old Mercedes, Bedford and Toyotas. You can even expect the train to be still running between Porto and the Alto Douro.

What I count as being the Northern region is composed of 6 districts (Aveiro, Braga, Bragança, Viana de Castello, Villa Real and Viseu) plus that of Porto. Outside Porto they represent 2.5 million people with the most fertile area. In fact the only region of Portugal that can sustain itself in term of food and water.

What remain of the country would, then, represent only 2 million people with the South being the least populated. As a result, the districts bearing the weight of refugees would be more these at the center (Castelo Branco, Coimbra, Guarda, Portalegre and Santarem).

A last thing will make a difference. The regions I counted in the north are considered to be the heart of Portugal and Braga is it's capital city by heart (the Portuguese reconquesta started from there, from Villa Real and Lamego). People living there are tough by our standards (even more so at the time of T2K) as many were used to live with limited electricity and water. In addition, they don't like people from the South and I have no doubt that they would not hesitate to turn them back at gun point. During the revolution, communists took over most of the country but they were never able to achieve much control over the North.

The North represents 40% of the pre-war population and it would get 60-70% of the post strike survivors.

Last edited by Mohoender; 08-26-2009 at 09:32 PM.